Latest Medal Group...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Medal Group...

Purchased this very interesting group over the weekend - at the tri-annual Toronto show. What stands out for many people who have seen this already is the fact that the recipient has two campaign stars (Italy and France & Germany) yet lacks the 1939-45 Star (something that is not often seen)...but I will explain.

Lyle Orval Duval enlisted in the RCAF in late 1943. He was training, in Canada, as air crew and held the rank of Aircraftsman 2nd Class. However he took his discharge from the RCAF February 1944 and remustered as B-800032 Pte L.O. Duval, Canadian Army. After a period of training he was sent to the UK in December 1944 and after further training he was taken on strength of the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment, 1st Canadian Infantry Brigade, 1st Canadian Division. On 7 February 1945 Duval arrived in Italy to join his new comrades in the H&PER - he thus qualified for the Italy Star and started the 6-month clock for qualification for the 39-45 Star. However, the 1st Cdn Div was on the move - and Duval with it. On 12 March 45 he arrived in France, and from there the 1st Brigade went on to Holland where they saw some very tough fighting.

With the war in Europe finally over - soldiers were being sent home. Duval, now a Lance-Corporal was struck of the strength of the H&PER in the field on 16 July 1945 and was struck off the strength of the Canadian Army Overseas on 6 August 1945... 1 Day before he qualifed for the 1939-45 Star. In reality - he probably stopped qualifying for the Star when he left the Continent for the UK, but even so that would mean he only missed it by 2 weeks!

Duval was honourably discharged in May of 1946 and returned to civilian life. He volunteered again in August of 1950 and was posted to the 2nd Battalion The Royal Canadian Regiment (which, ironically, had made up part of the 1st Infantry Brigade during WW2, along with the H&PER and the 48th Highlanders of Canada).

2 RCR was sent to Korea in May of 1951 and over the next year would see quite a bit of hard fighting. Duval was wounded (GSW) in July 1951, but remained on duty. He returned home, along with the rest of his unit in May 1952 and received his final discharge in August of that year.

Anyway - a nice acquisition for my collection of Korean War groups to the RCR - and one with a fascinating story behind the medals...and more to the point...behind the medals that aren't there!

Naming

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Geoff, very nice bar. I am glad you told us the story behind the soldier who won these medals.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

One day-ouch.

I would've thought they counted "at sea" transport time to Italy as qualifying time.
        Great post.

Comment

Group

A very nice Korean & WW2 group. Very similiar to a RCN group I have (Officer on H.M.C.S. Nootka) . I don't think he was worried about any medals (probable just wanted to get home). Now if he had been wounded like he was in Korea, he would have received it. I wonder if he received his K.V.S.M. Do you know when he died? During the early part of WW2 the 39/45 (43) star was cherished by the RCAF, especially wearing it with the Battle of Britian rosette

Comment

Nice Bar Geoff, I especially like the RCR part, especially 2Bn. Were the WW2 stars ever "named"?

Comment

Not to hijack your thread, Geoff....but thought I could help out

WWII Stars and Medals were not named (as issued to Canadian, British, NZ recipients) Australian and South African medals were usually named, as were many Indian ones (but not to those units that became part of the Pakistani army....this is a complicated subject...)

The one Canadian exception is the WWII War Medal awarded to the Canadian Merchant Navy, which was engraved (just the one medal, not the Stars or other WWII medals the recipient may have receieved)

Occasionally one does come across privately named WWII Service Medals and Stars.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

very nice bar and fascinating story and research..

Adam, how did you manage to aquire the forum status of Chief Bottle Washer??>.. Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Torsten,

Back in the early days of the forum one could pick a "title" basically you were able to type whatever you liked below your handle. Jokingly I picked this one....

When Seba regulated the forum so that we only had members, association member, etc, he kept mine...just because he thought it was funny. And so it remains...the only unique title of its sort on the forum.

Cheers

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X