Interesting old 3rd Goorkha Badge - Silver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting old 3rd Goorkha Badge - Silver

I am hoping that the British collectors can estimate a date and period for this particular badge. It has a very nicely made "T" pin and "C" type catch assembly. It is made of real silver too.

Thanks,

Chuck
    Last edited by vonStubben; 01-01-2006, 03:57 PM.

Reverse
    Last edited by vonStubben; 01-01-2006, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Hi Chuck, here is some info on the Regt for you.

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/s...urkha/03GR.htm

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
        Hi Chuck, here is some info on the Regt for you.

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/s...urkha/03GR.htm

Cheers, Ade.
        Hello Ade. Thanks for the unit history. In your opinion (or anyone elses), might you believe, as I tend to, that this particular badge is from the Victorian period?

Chuck

Comment

Strange badge this one, first the fastening is more a sweetheart than a cap or collar badge, though not unknown. Also doesn't have Queen Alexandra's cypher which would place the badge as far as I can see early Edwardian or before. I believe the spelling GOORKA is old, being replaced by GURKHA, but also the titles were Goorkha Rifles not Regt. The 2nd alone retained the GOORKA spelling. I can't find any solid references on early Ghurka badges but would imagine this is a bazaar made sweatheart. The Regt. bit bugs me most.

Comment

If you follow the link and look at the pictures under uniforms. Iis that not your badge on the pill box of the Sepoy (1886)? 3rd Goorkha Regiment Indian Army title used from 1887-1891. Lots of badges from that area have pin backs so they can be removed to allow the garments to be cleaned.

Comment

Thanks guys, I did surf the site briefly and saw "construction" icons when I clicked on that heading and I didn't scroll down any further thinking the page was being worked on. Now that I have, and gone back to check more thouroughly it has helped narrow this down a bit more.

Chuck

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff
              If you follow the link and look at the pictures under uniforms. Iis that not your badge on the pill box of the Sepoy (1886)? 3rd Goorkha Regiment Indian Army title used from 1887-1891. Lots of badges from that area have pin backs so they can be removed to allow the garments to be cleaned.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X