Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British WarOffice pattern helmet with cover

Hello,
    I would like to share this British 1915 WarOffice pattern helmet with cover.
    This is one of my latest purchases.
    I would tend to consider WW1 helmets with original helmet covers (never removed) to be the most interesting and difficult helmets to be found.
    If other members has WW1 helmets with covers I would be very greatful If this thread could bring them out! Even from other belligerents!
    Thanks for reading.
    Cheers
    Frederic
    Attached Files

Other view...
    Attached Files

Comment

Other view outside
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

By the way, does anybody have an idea about the letters written on the top?
          I would think they are the initials of the owner but It is just a guess...

Comment

Inside.
            Note the typical early green paint color.
            The liner is unfortunately gone...
            Attached Files

Comment

Detail of the cover...
              Attached Files

Comment

Split rivet.
                Note the mud!!!
                Attached Files

Comment

The early chinstrap with buckle...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Markings
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Frederic,
                      That is a nice helmet and four-piece issue cover. I am guessing that is a raw-edge rim brodie from 1915 or early 1916, right?
                      No idea about the markings...
                      I will be showing an officer's brodie with a similar issued cover soon.
                      -Lee

Comment

Hello Lee,
                        Thanks a lot for your reply.
                        This is indeed a rimless helmet and according to my documentation this would be a so called Brodie's 1915 second prototype (magnetic) steel helmet (typeA). The markings are FS, but on this shell the F is over the S and not beside. FS stands for the steel maker Thomas Firth and Sons (from Sheffield).
                        The liner in such helmet was made of oilcloth (America Cloth) with six tongues making up the crown. The liner was attached by a strap and rivet to the top of the helmet. As you can see the chinstrap was also different from the later ones as It is made of two pieces of leather, fastened with a claw buckle. It is very intersting also to observe on this steel helmet the very early apple green color.
                        I post an other rimless Brodie but this is a regulation 1915 issue War Office Pattern (non magnetic) to show the difference.
                        Frederic
                        Attached Files

Comment

Inside.
                          And Indeed I am eager to see your officer's brodie with a similar issued cover !!!
                          Thanks again
                          Frederic
                          Attached Files

Comment

Very cool! You know, I never picked up on the rimless brodie being magnetic or nonmagnetic. I just tried it putting a magnet on my early brodies and this is what I got:
                            My Royal Canadian Dragoons helmet is magnetic. Which means it is a prototype helmet?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here is my other 1915 CEF, which is non-magnetic. Standard?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X