Napoleonic swords anyone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Napoleonic swords anyone ?

This is a lot at an auction on the coast .The big sword is a British 1788 pattern Sabre I think swords from that period all seem to look the same ,its a bit tatty but it is HUGE .It has Turkish /eastern type crescents and things engraved on the blade ,The Tulwars are groovy too ,perhaps they were used by The Tippo Sultans troops at Seringpatan (not sure of spelling )against Wellingtons finest unfortunately they have light rust all over them .But I will have a bid and see what happens .Anyone know the value of a Tatty old Napoleonic sword ? Rob.
    Attached Files
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

I sat at said auction for 2.5 hours (I had a lot I was interested in at the beginning ) and this was at the end ,thought I would go £300 or thereabouts .Thanks to loads of bids on the book (left bids)Bidding started and finished at £650 .Still I did buy an old Raleigh Tomahawk on impulse for £12 (a small chopper ) Rob.

Comment

this local auction house of yours has some nice stuff!!! my local one only sells reconditioned washing machines and plywood coffee tables

Comment

The 1788 Pattern sword is quite rare these days.
        This is an Officer's sword, not a trooper's, and is complete with it's scabbard, which adds considerably to the value.
        The Tulwars, in my opinion, are not worth that much, so I think the High Bidder had his eyes on the 1788.
        Napoleonic swords fetch high prices nowadays, even in this tatty condition.
        I used to buy pieces like this for about £10 in the late sixties!
        RAY.

Comment

Hi Ray just as a matter of interest how do you tell the difference between an officers and troopers sword .Rob.

Comment

Hello Rob,
            The fact that it had an engraved or decorated blade.
            Originally this blade would have been elaborately blued and gilded.
            Trooper's swords always have plain blades, apart from a makers name or unit marking.
            As a matter of interest, this particular example has an unusually heavy blade. Normally they are thinner.
            Regards, RAY.

Comment

Hi Ray it was very big and heavy ,but like all great swords it had good balance. Better luck next time eh .Rob.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X