Plastic 1 Canadian Para Bn badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic 1 Canadian Para Bn badge

I would be very interested in opinions on this badge....

Steve
    Attached Files

rear
    Attached Files

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmm....chocolate!!!

Seriously though I think this one looks good to me. I pulled out my 100% original example and it matches EXACTLY!!! A very nice one indeed and thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
      Greg

Comment

I agree with Greg, it is also like the example in my collection Hard to get, especially with the matching lug pin.

Cheers,

Greg (as well)

Comment

Yepper...

Originally posted by sabertasche
          I agree with Greg, it is also like the example in my collection Hard to get, especially with the matching lug pin.

Cheers,

Greg (as well)
          It's a good one for sure.

Gary
          1st Can Para Collector

Comment

How to tell if it is real...

Someone in the Canadian forum asked how one can tell if these are real, so I thought I would post my answer from there....

The photos in this thread are excellent to keep as a reference. If you are looking to authenticate one of these badges simply compare it to these photos. If there is any variation, I would not touch it. Every single badge that I have handled (I have half a dozen in my collection, and have seen many more) conforms exactly to this badge.

What to look for:

• The front of the badge should be relatively detailed as it is on this one. Notice that the words are easily readable. Most of the fakes are of very poor quality.

• I do not have a badge in front of me at the moment, but the physical size is also a good indicator. If you would like, I’m sure I or someone else on here could measure their badge….

• The back of the badge is the key identifier for me. Please note the type of the lugs as well as the pin. These lugs are not reproduced as far as I know, all of the repros have metal fasteners and are rather crude looking from behind. The fastening pin on this badge is unique to this one particular badge. I don’t think that there are repros made with a plastic pin. There are a couple of other distinguishing features on the back of the badge that you should look for. Note the circular pattern just outside the lugs, this is present on every legitimate badge. Also note the small horizontal “bar” at the bottom of the badge; I believe this is an injection mark from when the badge was made. This is also present on every badge that I have handled.

I would also note that there are some repros that are pretty good from the front. If you ever have someone offer you a framed group or a board that has one of these badges on it, I would not buy it if I could not see the reverse of the badge. It would be very easy for an unscrupulous vendor to throw a couple of cloth flashes, a photo or two and a fake badge on a board and charge a grand for it at a show.

All this being said, I don’t think that anyone has reproduced these badges to deceive. They were made for the reenactor market, hence the lack of attention to the back. I am not sure that this badge could be reproduced 100% accurately, the knowledge may simply not be there.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys

Steve

Comment

Manufacture

Gary,
                Nice detail, .. which I expect is well appreciated by all that read the thread

.. A side question, ...
                Over here in England, we are use to the Plastic badges being produced by A Stanley and Son.
                (This should be a cue for Leigh to descend upon the thread with his knowledge of the plastic badge production !)..
                Anyhow, you mentioned in your detail about the fixing lugs on the badge, .. which are a type I must admit I have not seen before, .. so to my question, .. were these Canadian Para badges made by Stanleys, or were they produced in Canada ?

Regards

Gary J.

Comment

To go with Gary J.'s question, I was wondering what these badges are actually made of. I often hear them refered to as bakelite badges but they don't seem to have the same appearance as other bakelite items that I have. Does anyone know what they are actually made of?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Infanteer
                    I was wondering what these badges are actually made of
                    Steve, according to vera.org website these are made of cellulose acetate. I have asked Stanley&Sons about the material (and how to preserve it best) as they are still in business today but unfortunately I didn't get a reply.
                    People refer to them as bakelite/bakerlite as many badges came in the same chocolate colour.

Fantastic badge btw, thanks for showing!

Random fact: bakelite is named after its designer: Belgium engineer Leo Hendrik Baekeland
                    Cheers, Luc

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald
                      Steve, according to vera.org website these are made of cellulose acetate. I have asked Stanley&Sons about the material (and how to preserve it best) as they are still in business today but unfortunately I didn't get a reply.
                      People refer to them as bakelite/bakerlite as many badges came in the same chocolate colour.

Fantastic badge btw, thanks for showing!

Random fact: bakelite is named after its designer: Belgium engineer Leo Hendrik Baekeland
                      Cheers, Luc
                      Very informative... thanks a bunch

Steve

Comment

Where they were made...

Originally posted by Infanteer
                        Very informative... thanks a bunch

Steve
                        Hello,

I do know where these badges were made, but I can't say. A friend of mine is putting together a book on Battalion insignia, etc. and it would be wrong for me to say anything becasue I only found out through his research efforts. He is on this forum (Force136) so he he chooses, he can enlighten the masses.

Thanks,

Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X