No announcement yet.

Polish MK II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like saying this but in my opinion none of the helmets posted are original WWII Polish helmets.

The 2<sup>nd</sup> Rifle Battalion helmet came out of Netherlands if my memory serves me, It had a good “story” to go with it but the helmet doesn't speak for itself. The 3DSK grouping was for sale on the interned at least 6 months ago when it was on a web site but there were no takers until it got to eb*y. All the uniforms the seller had for sale were put together and some of them had reproduction patches made using what appears to be a silk screening process. I have seen these patches in use by re-enactors in Poland and the seller appears to be the originating source for these. I hope that Tony can get his money back on the 3DSK grouping.

Comment

Billy, please enlighten us with some photos of what a real Polish Helmet should look like or is this yet another one of your ZAV posts?

Comment

Hello Billy,

I can’t comment too much on the initial two helmets, other than they look good, and that they were sold as authentic examples (but we’ve all heard that before). These images are saved from past auctions, and if I recall correctly, the sellers were reputable. But even so, fakes abound that even a trained eye can miss or honest seller pass off as authentic. We’ve all heard about Sothebys, Christies or other auction houses inadvertently selling fakes that have eluded even their so-called experts.

Having said all that, if these helmets are creations intented to deceive, the quality of the work appears very good. Much better than what I have encountered to date. But of course, I do not have benefit of handling the articles themselves. And photos can be deceiving. There’s no question that more and more fakers are including Polish items in their arsenal, although the quality has been poor in comparison to some of the other fake WWII militaria (i.e. Third Reich) produced in volume. I am curious as to what characteristics in the Ind, Carp. Brigade and the 2nd Rifle Bat. helmets ‘don’t speak for themselves’? Please elaborate.

And as far as the 3DSK set, I do have a money back guarantee. You are correct about the group being advertised for sale previously, although the price was way over the top. As with most of my purchases, I do as thorough an investigation as is possible via cyberspace prior to outlaying cash. The next step in the process is to get the package here, and then I’ll evaluate it ‘hands on’. Another member of this forum, who seems to know his stuff, recently purchased a 1st Armoured Div BD tunic from this seller, and by all accounts is happy with the purchase. The seller feedback was also 100% positive.

Nonetheless, thanks for the heads up Billy.

Cheers,
        Tony
        Last edited by Antoni Zawadzki; 09-08-2005, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Hi Billy,
          I can't comment the others helmets having not seen them " in the flesh" but they look rather good. Concerning mine (the one opened the thread) it was obtained 20 years ago from a old french collection. I saw exactly the same in a WW II museum at Boulogne-sur-Mer , also the same one at the Sikorski museum in London and to finish I must admit I have a good feeling on this helmet. I understand the helmet does not have an attributed provenance but according the previous facts I am convinced it's a good one. If not it would mean that 20 years ago a faker would have create some very nice copies of polish MK II to deceive collectors and museums.
          Just my thoughs.
          Regards
          Phil

Originally posted by Billy B
          I don't like saying this but in my opinion none of the helmets posted are original WWII Polish helmets.

The 2<SUP>nd</SUP> Rifle Battalion helmet came out of Netherlands if my memory serves me, It had a good “story” to go with it but the helmet doesn't speak for itself. The 3DSK grouping was for sale on the interned at least 6 months ago when it was on a web site but there were no takers until it got to eb*y. All the uniforms the seller had for sale were put together and some of them had reproduction patches made using what appears to be a silk screening process. I have seen these patches in use by re-enactors in Poland and the seller appears to be the originating source for these. I hope that Tony can get his money back on the 3DSK grouping.

Comment

Hello,
            Here is a MK II belonging to The Sikorski Institute of London and is the twin brother of the ones I saw in the 2 frenchs museums and mine. The was taken from the book "D Day Operation OVERLORD - Salamander Ed. ISBN 0-86110-631-9 "
            Hope it can help.
            Phil
            Attached Files
            Last edited by helmhunter; 09-09-2005, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X