65th Anniversary of Battle of Britain Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

65th Anniversary of Battle of Britain Day

In commemoration of Battle of Britain day, I thought I would post this item from my collection. Check out that date! September 15th. Here is some information on F/L Rimmer who unfortunately, did not survive the battle.

F/Lt R.F.Rimmer of No 229 Squadron was killed on the 27th of September 1940 at 15:30hrs. His Hurricane I (V6782) was shot down by a Bf 109 at Burwash in Sussex.

39683 Reginald Frank Rimmer -was a FO of 229 Squadron and son of a WW1 pilot. The family were living in Wirral at the time of outbreak of war. He joined the RAF in 1937 and on June 2nd 1940 over Dunkirk damaged a He 111, later destroying a Do17 and sharing an He 111. He was shot down in his Hurricane V6782 "T" at 1530 hrs. and killed by 109's on Sept. 27th 1940 over Franchise Manor Farm, Burwash aged 21 years and is buried at Hoylake Grange, Cheshire (grave D79) and is remembered on a plaque at the farm where he crashed. He was son of Launcelot and Cecilia of Hoylake. He is named in Morris's book but there is no AJEX card for him. A photo of his grave shows a cross but this was a common error for many Jewish servicemen killed in both World Wars where incorrect information was supplied about religious affiliation.

Great combat report! What a piece of history!

I have seen quite a few of these sold on eBay which I have presumed to be fake because of the person who was selling them.

Thanks for showing, from Jack.

Comment

Well this one is real. Amazing it is the date of the official commemoration.

Tod

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X