Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF Overseas cap

Gents:

I have an opportunity to buy a grouping for a British Airman. Not being overly studied on British militaria, I thought you guys might help me with a question.

The overseas cap has a white (insert) behind the front "turn-up." The insignia on the cap is a black RAF emblem made of what appears to be bakelite/plastic. What would the white layer on the cap indicate?

Assistance appreciated!

Cheers,

Shawn

Hi Shawn, the white flash was for an Officer Candidate.

I recall these "field service caps" ("Overseas caps" to you Colonials ) with plastic cap badges selling for £4.50 (the price I paid for mine) now they sell for £45.00

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the reply and information, Adrian. The group also includes a cased Distinguished Flying Cross. Can you tell me how to date this decoration? The case interior glows under UV illumination, the ribbon is sewn to the corners of the reverse pin. Also, there is a central, circular area (brass?) on the reverse - the dealer indicated that there had been a name inscribed on this, but it had been obliterated? Not sure why.

The group also includes a squadron flag (? - union jack in the upper left corner and the British roundel (?) in the lower middle section.

Shawn

Comment

Hi Shawn, the flag will be the standard RAF base flag, often nicknamed "The Duster". Every RAF base flew these.

The reverse of a DFC will feature a cypher for the monarch, GRVI, ERII, etc. you can roughly date it from that. The lower arm should feature the date.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Additional Information

Adrian:

Again, thanks for answering my questions - greatly appreciated. I had never seen a British DFC first hand before this one. I was struck by the beauty of it! If I end up with the group (and hopefully I will) photos will follow. Thanks once again!

Best Regards,

Shawn

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X