Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ww2 Beret Need Identifying

Hi,
    I recently bought an old beret for the cap badge it had on it and not collecting hats was not that bothered with it. However it has just visible a very faded makers name of Kangol headgear limited then a WD crows foot and the date which appears to be 1945. I have not got a photo but it it leather banded, in blue-back felt. The interesting bit is the cap badge strengthener is not the usual slider leather bit above the left eye but a thick bit of what i presume to be hessian which fits behind the sewn on red patch on the beret's front. This patch is a large shallow semi circle that i think went over the left side of the head rather than the left eye judging by its position in relation to the bow on the leather band. Perhaps a foreign unit (Free Dutc?) with a british maker or an obscure british army unit?

Any suggestion would be grateful as I want to sell it and could do with getting the identity right.

What was the badge on the beret ? Rob.
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Hi Max, sorry, I cannot think of any (Britsh) unit which wore a beret with this combination of colours? So I think you are on the right lines in thinking a foreign army clothed by the British.

If you could get some pics done and post them it would be ideal.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB
        What was the badge on the beret ? Rob.
        It was a brass DLI badge but it was not the original badge on the beret as it was part of a fancy dress shop selling off old stck including a large amount of WW2 battledress etc. The shop had added the badge.

Comment

Hi Max,
          Kangol berets have always had a strip of hessian all around the inside of the liner, the function of it is unknown to me. What you describe reminds me of beret I had a while ago, it had a very stiff semi-circular leather bit between wool outer and black liner, I believe that was one issued in the '60?
          Does it really say "Kangol headgear limited", that is bad news!

It's not Dutch btw, they had a round-ish/oval orange backing patch.
          Cheers, Luc

Comment

How about a Royal Marines Recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff
              How about a Royal Marines Recruit.
              Sorry to say Luc, but the Dutch Marines did and do have a half circular red patch on the left side of the beret. On that red patch they wear the faul anchor badge. My guess is that the described beret is used by the Dutch Marines.

Regards,

Jack

Comment

Sounds like the RM non-Commando blue beret with red tombstone.

Comment

Originally posted by rankin508
                  Sorry to say Luc, but the Dutch Marines did and do have a half circular red patch on the left side of the beret.
                  Hi Jack, you are right and I should have been more precise that to the best of my knowledge no Dutch army unit used such a backing. So teach me, did they use this during WW2?
                  Cheers, Luc

Comment

I may be wrong, but I think I've seen illustrations of the Dutch wearing the same pattern beret as the British Royal Marines

Comment

Just re-reading this thread. I take it that the beret is a "Midnight blue" one? In which case the 1945 date would be suspect, as I don't think they were introduced until a couple of years later? My knowledge on postwar stuff is weak so help me here guys.

But a midnight blue beret with a red flash could well be RM. It was the 1945 date which was bothering me.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
                        Just re-reading this thread. I take it that the beret is a "Midnight blue" one? In which case the 1945 date would be suspect, as I don't think they were introduced until a couple of years later? My knowledge on postwar stuff is weak so help me here guys.

But a midnight blue beret with a red flash could well be RM. It was the 1945 date which was bothering me.

Cheers, Ade.
                        Construction is all wron for RM beret as it is very different from RM recruits and red cloth is in the wron place.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X