XXI Indep. Para. Coy items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XXI Indep. Para. Coy items

Hi Guys, I thought that I would share with you a gift from my friend Sgt. Don Turner who served with the XXI Indep. Para. Coy throughout it's exsistance from 1942 until 1946.

Last week Lez & I went to stay with Don & Olive proir to moving on to the "Military Odessy" show. I had never seen Don's photo albums before and we spent a few hours going through all the pictures. This was an emotional time for Don as it bought back both happy and very sad memories for him. Don is going to loan me the albums to scan the photos.

Here is a postcard, of which he had a spare one, so he gave this to me. This card was produced in the early days of the Coy prior to them being issued with the Parachute Regt cap badge. The Coy also produced an Xmas card which many of you may well have seen displayed in the Hartenstein Museum donated by Fred Weatherly with some other of his items? (As an aside the Vets of the Coy still produce their own Xmas cards almost each year.)

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Files

Here is a scan of a large group photo which Don has given me. This was taken in Palestine circa 1946 or 1947. Don can be seen at the far right, front row.

If anyone can ID any of the other soldiers I would be keen to know? There are a good range of cap badges being worn. Don says it is General Lathbury in the centre? But he is now not 100% sure as at 82 his memory is getting poor. It could be Brig. Rome? Either could be in command of the HQ at this point in time. The chap with the GS cap badge and dirty knees to his BD trousers is a local interpreter.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is a better shot.

Cheers, Ade.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thats a great Christmas card it will look great framed and hung on the wall next to the photo .Rob.
        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Hi Robb, I will indeed be framing both items

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Ade,
            Christmas came early for you this year! How very nice of Mr Turner to give you his spare card. The cap badge is awesome, it shows so much more character than most of the replicas!
            Cheers, luc

Comment

Hi Luc, Xmas did come early

The badge is actually printed on the postcard The printing is very good. Is does look real.

Olive, Don's wife, still wears his AAC cap badge on her jacket at shows and reunions.

Don will be in Arnhem this year as usual. He has not missed a year since the 40th anniversary. I will introduce you to him and the other XXI Vets.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
                I will introduce you to him and the other XXI Vets.

Cheers, Ade.
                That would be super, many thanks in advance!
                Isn't Mrs Turner a bit worried the badge gets stolen? You mentioned the theft of a silver sweetheart a while ago.
                Cheers, Luc

Comment

Olive wore it last weekend in fact along with the Pegasus sweetheart Don had made for her.

The stolen one was taken at the Hotel where the reunion was held. Now she is VERY careful with them.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Amazing gift Ade

I've never seen one of these before. It looks like a very nice piece.

Is there anything on the back?

Thanks, from Jack.

Comment

Hi Jack, the reverse is the usual generic printed "Postcard" as can be seen on many items of the period. For some reason this has been crossed out with pencil.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

very nice ,thanks for showing
                        Michael.

Comment

Great postcard Ade Like Luc I thought the badge was a real one

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X