Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military Cross

Hi Guys

Fairly new to collecting British medal sets, but may have the chance of an MC set.

The cased set includes 39-45, Africa and Italy stars

Can you please give views on originality of the MC and stars.

In terms of value what is a ballpark figure for an MC.

Thanks for any help

regards
    Graeme

MC set.jpg MC set 2.jpg

You need photos of the back of the cross Without the glass cover . I take it no name or history ? Rob
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

First rule: don't buy anything in a case until you've seen it out of the case. I once sold a man a WWI 'group' which had been on my wall for years and he discovered that one of the trio was a replacement. We were both very unhappy.

Comment

I agree with the previous comments and, as to price, the 2020 edition of Medal Yearbook shows a price of an MC with attributable group of 1500 to 2500 pounds.
        Much will depend on the corps or regiment, regarding value. Roughly 11,000 MC's were awarded in WWII, vs. 37,000 or so in WWI, so the price difference is significant.
        If the MC is unnamed, along with the campaign medals , the value will drop greatly.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Hi Rob, Peter and Bob for your info and advice.

Rob, the case has a nameplate to a captain, which until I can hopefully secure the group, do not want to divulge. Being new to British medals, I joined a forces records site for a month and entered a few details. It showed the MC info for an action during fighting northwards in Italy. Maybe you guys can tell me the best way to find info on named British medals.

This group was from a garage clearance and there were a bunch of other first world war medals plus I think a Korean war medal. Also a miniature set. I only had a few pics so it was difficult to determine what the whole group looked like. I am hoping the ww1 medals are family related. One was a 1914 star and another was the victory medal with a leaf on.
          I am also away on hols at the moment and there is always the chance that someone else will own the medals.

I was hoping from the obverse of the MC you might be able to have a gut feel on originality. I am well aware of Peters concern about taking it out of the case to make sure, but at the moment i do not have my hands on it.
          Will keep you posted.

thanks
          Graeme

1914 star.jpg

victory medal.jpg

K medal.jpg

Comment

That's a tough one, Graeme. The fact that it is or is claimed to be part of a family collection from a garage clearance makes it less likely that it is a made up group, IMO. But... I guess if the price is reasonable - check a few dealers to see what they're asking for similar and go lower than that - it might be worth grabbing. If it's older then the odds are higher that all the medals are originals and not copies, but when all is said and done unless you're very lucky it will liekly be unnamed, so you're left with the 'story' and not the 'item' on which to base your decision.

When I began collecting I wanted to buy everything I saw. If you specifically want an RAF MC group, you might want to wait for oe with better provenance. If you want to takle a flutter on a cheap[ish?] 'group', that's your call. Sorry I'm not helping much. Good luck.

Peter

Comment

Trouble is they make good fake MC’s . Or it could be a Taylor’s copy . The back has a tell. Rob
              God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

I agree with above comments, however as a medal collector the MC does look very promising.

the other medals are certainly original also.

Comment

Thank you for your comments guys. Much appreciated.

If it comes my way I will post better pics and give you a fuller story

best regards
                  Graeme

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X