Junk Shop Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junk Shop Find

I came across this framed photograph in a junk shop and noticed that someone had gone to a lot of trouble to cut the photograph so that it would fit in that frame.
    I thought that it deserved to be seen by more people and possibly some suggestions could be made regarding as to how he might be identified.
    Thanks,
    Peter
    Attached Files

Promoted from the ranks ? Looks like a military medal ribbon . Nice photo looks to be plenty of info on the back . Rob
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Hi ROBB,
      I thought that it looked like a Military Medal ribbon. There is some writing on the picture side which I think is signed Ralph, so possibly his name?
      There are puzzlingly two details of 2 different addresses on the back.
      Peter

Comment

I don't think it is an Military Medal ribbon. In my opinion it looks more like a Kings Police medal or Egypt medal?

Comment

Thanks popskipa
          I will have to get my medal year book out and have a look.
          Peter

Comment

Italian medal ribbon maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by popskipa View Post
              I don't think it is an Military Medal ribbon. In my opinion it looks more like a Kings Police medal or Egypt medal?
              I agree, it is not a MM.

Comment

Looks like a MM to me It’s the only single medal ribbon from this period that makes sense. The Egypt medal is a no and Kings Police medal is a no.
                Brian what do you think it is ? Rob
                Attached Files
                God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Thanks paddywhack, Brian and ROBB.
                  i have had a look and can only agree with ROBB, it seems to be a MM, but would be interested in anyone else’s opinion.
                  He is obviously Royal Artillery, and I am not sure if his rank insignia is that of a Major or 2nd Lieutenant, but am leaning towards the latter.
                  Thanks,
                  Peter

Comment

I had a really good look after work and I had a good look at any foreign ribbons he could have got and have to agree more then likely a MM

Comment

Originally posted by peterwyndavies View Post
                      Thanks paddywhack, Brian and ROBB.
                      i have had a look and can only agree with ROBB, it seems to be a MM, but would be interested in anyone else’s opinion.
                      He is obviously Royal Artillery, and I am not sure if his rank insignia is that of a Major or 2nd Lieutenant, but am leaning towards the latter.
                      Thanks,
                      Peter
                      Rank is 2nd lieut, with one pip. Also, a major & above would have three horizontal lace bands around the cuffs on this type tunic.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

I believe you guys are right and I was wrong. I was thrown off by the border colors but then I recalled the many Imperial German pics I have seen over the years. In this case, the blue is lighter than the red, but red basically always appears dark in these period photos. MM it is!! Great pic!

Comment

Thanks paddywhack, Bob and Brian.
                          I think we are all agreed that it is an MM. Trying to identify him is I think going to be quite a bit more difficult.
                          Thanks,
                          Peter

Comment

!3 Roper street is still in existence, the other address 7 or 9 Derwent street is gone, The local library will have the electoral roll for both addresses. A long shot but worth a try.

Comment

Plenty to go on to identify the recipient -

First name: Ralph
                              Regiment: Artillery
                              Decoration: MM
                              1x Wound Stripe

Given he was awarded an MM, we know he would have served in the ranks before being commissioned. If it were me, I would identify all Artillerymen called Ralph who were awarded an MM and were then Commissioned. If there are more than one (which I doubt) you could then look to see if any of the candidates were wounded.

A cursory search identifies 29 men from the Artillery called Ralph who were awarded the MM -

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X