Canadian MKII named Special Service Battalion FSSF Killed at Anzio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian MKII named Special Service Battalion FSSF Killed at Anzio

I picked this up today thinking it was a British helmet at an antique store. I get home and find out that it is Canadian and post some pictures on this forum. I then type in a search for the name in the helmet and find out that a solider named Garratt was with the Canadian Special Service Battalion and see that his Service number is H62940. Looking better at the helmet now I find his name written a second time with the service number H62940 written behind it. This has to be one of the coolest things that I have found. He was killed at 20 years old April 16 1944 during fighting at Anzio. He is buried there at Beach Head War Cemetery. Would the Canadian's have been using this helmet then or would they have been issued M1's like their US counterparts once in combat? The only reason I ask is because this thing looks like it is in really good shape. The size is still written on the outside of it in what looks like chalk. I wonder if it may have been issued in training and never used in combat. I think that it was also camouflaged only because the pictures of other Canadian helmets do not have a sandy texture like this one. Any information would be appreciated. Sorry guys I had originally post this in the wrong area. Thanks

pics

Comment

This is very cool.
      Sgt. K.G. Garratt, 3rd Regiment, 4th Company, FSSF who died of wounds 16 April 1944 was from Fort William, Ontario.
      You should have a researcher pull the records for him from the National Archives in Ottawa.
      If you want to do this, PM me and I'll put you in touch with someone who can do this for you.
      To answer your question about the helmets, Canadians in the FSSF were issued with American equipment including the M1 helmet.

Garratt-2.jpg

image_4708133.jpg

Garratt-5.jpg

Garratt-4.jpg
      Attached Files

Comment

Based on the block that his service number falls within, he originally enlisted with the Canadian Forestry Corps at No. 10 District Depot in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
        The twin cities of Fort William and Port Arthur, now Thunder Bay, Ontario, is 400 miles east of Winnipeg.
        Winnipeg would have been the closest enlistment centre.

Garratt-1.jpg

Comment

When would he have been issued issued this particular helmet? Maybe when he initially enlisted in the Canadian military? Thanks you for the information Roy.

Comment

Yes when he initially enlisted.
            He may or may not have taken it to Fort William Henry Harrison in Helena, Montana, but likely so given that you found it in the US
            His Canadian gear and uniform would have been stored at that time when he was issued with American equipment and uniforms.

Comment

THAT is a pretty darn cool Canadian helmet find! Congratulations! -Frank

Comment

Here is a link to Garratt's file: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discov...dNumber=12596&

Sadly, there is no PDF file available, so if you want more you will need to contact Roy and get a researcher in Ottawa to help.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Peter for the information. Roy sent me the contact info for the researcher and I will reach out to him later today.

Comment

Some of his paperwork from the Canadian Army thanks to Peter.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Glad that helped. Nice details. Do the US military cemeteries offer things like photos of the stones, the way the CWGC does? A good clear photo can make an attractive part of a display.

Peter

Comment

I am unable to find his grave marker on line. I might have to convince the wife to take another trip to Italy in the future.

Comment

Very interesting story. Great information Roy. Rob
                          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Very nice indeed. Well done!

Regards,

Des

Comment

I had my wife resize some of the files to post.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X