Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British 49th Infantry brigade Badge

Hi Guys
    I found this cloth badge for sale and since I am not familiar with it would like to know whether it is WW2 period as it is being advertised? I have never seen one of these before and could not find that many others for reference online. Thanks in advance for looking.

Barry
    Attached Files

Hi Barry,

It's an original WW2 period 49th (West Riding) Infantry Division formation sign. Earlier versions had the polar bear looking down but this was changed to a more aggressive looking stance.

Regards,

Des

Comment

Appreciate the help Des. I do not have that many British items in my collection but liked this so completed the purchase. Thanks again.

Regards,

Barry

Comment

The division fought in Norway, where one of the three brigades was decimated and then, as Wiki says

The division, now with only the 146th and 147th Infantry Brigades left, departed for Iceland, the 146th arriving there [in May and June], when it was re-designated HQ Alabaster Force and, in January 1941, Iceland Force before finally being redesignated HQ British Troops Iceland.Both brigades were thereafter stationed in Iceland until 1942. As a result, a new divisional insignia, featuring a polar bear standing on an ice floe, was adopted.

Comment

Thanks for the additional info Peter.

Regards,

Barry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X