Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belgian SAS DCM medal group!

Hello people,

I was just reading the latest Armourer magazine and I couldn't help but notice a group of medals that is coming up for sale through Bosley's.

"...a superb Belgium Special Air Service Regiment DCM group for 1944. The citation describes how the recipient stood up in the open, only yards away from the Germans and opened fire with his 'Bren-gun, hose pipe fashion from the hip, spraying the German position at point blank range'. 52 Germans were killed in this engagement"

Wow! That's proper SAS stuff isn't it!

So Des, I hope you'll be bidding!

Many thanks, from Jack.

And of course there is never any exaggeration in combat citations .

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts
      52 Germans were killed in this engagement"
      He must have changed magazines at least once! What a hero!
      Cheers, Luc

Comment

The official citation reads "2538 Trooper Victor Debuf, Belgian Army S.A.S. Operation Caliban, September 1944, Province of Limburg, Belgium. Trooper DeBuf showed magnificant courage, intelligent initiative and presence of mind. Moving in daylight across open country, his squad of 6 was forced by an approaching German column, to hide in slit trenches. Trooper DeBuf was detached with his light machine gun for flank protection. An 88mm gun battery, unaware of their presence, stopped in front of them, and started firing its gun a few yards away, offering a field of fire to Debuf's light machine gun only. The latter unable to contact his squad commander, due to the enemy being so near acted on his own initiative. He jumped into the open and fired his Bren-gun hose pipe fashion from the hip, spraying the German position at point blank range, and at the same time shouting to the rest of the squad to take firing positions, thereby initiating a violent engagement during which the enemy lost 52 killed and an undetermined number of wounded. The battery was subsequently forced to move elsewhere".

The guy was pretty amazing having served in Korea with distinction also (In Korea on the first day of the Chinese spring offensive on 23 april 1951, Battle of Imijn river, he was wounded when he stood upright to direct the fire of his section that was partly overcome by a Chinese assault.

These medals were sold back in 1997 which I only found out about recently! So for them to be back up for sale so soon is weird. I would love to buy them but being a current University student and only working part time it would be impossible for me to bid. Such is life but I hope either a friend or someone who appreciates the history will get them.

Comment

If someone has the Bosleys catalogue with the above group, would they mind sending it to me please? I don't mind covering postage.

Comment

Hello Des,

I take it this guy is pretty famous in the Belgian SAS collecting circles then?

I don't have the catalogue, but I can get one for you if you want.

Thanks, from Jack.

Comment

Hi Jack,

Yeah he is well known to those who know about the unit. If you could get me a catalogue that would be great. I'd really appreciate it. Out of interest what is the reserve? Back in 1997 it was around £5500.

Comment

Hello Des,

I'm not even sure what the reserve is at the moment, because the catalogues aren't even out yet!

Bosleys always release them about 2 weeks before the auction

Thanks, from Jack.

Comment

The problem with Bosleys is they have buyers with open cheque books. Even with my dads combined fire power I dont think I would have enough cash to secure them. I see them making over 10K........there are far too many crazy medal collectors out there.........I could even see the hammer going down for 20K. Even in my area a house can be purchased for this amount that requires modernising. I realise this is medals......but a house is far more important.....maybe people like Tony would disagree.......they would rather be seen sleeping on the streets with a bottle of extra strength in one hand but have that group in their deposit box in the bank

Steve.

Comment

Joking apart, I'd love to see a photo of this guy to put a face to a name. Do you have any you could post Des ?
                    As for the price of the medals, I wish we all had wallets to match our enthusiasm .

Comment

Well here it is...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting that Jack. I trust only the DCM is named?

Steve.

Comment

As requested, a photo of the man himself.

He earned his wings 11/7/1942. He took part in Operations Shakespeare & Caliban. He also served in the Ardennes, Holland, and Germany.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Dcm

Roughly how many of the Belgian S.A.S. won a British gallantry medal (MC, DCM, MM, ...)?
                            WJW

Comment

I can only think of a handful of guys off the top of my head so yes it is a rare medal group within the unit regardless of anything else. The estimated price is £6000-£7000 which is obviously serious money but I think it will probably sell? Some potential bidders have contacted me directly (Bosleys should be paying me consultation fees ). I hope one of them gets it. Then they might be so kind as to forward me good quality scans/photos for my records. Plus it would be nice to know who owns the group. Any of our forum gong collectors thinking of having a go? Tony? Chris?
                              Dammit I need to win the bloody Lotto this week!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X