Ways of honouring the dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ways of honouring the dead.

I thought Commonwealth nations would have commemorated their dead in a fairly standard way (ie all used certificates) but I have noticed just recently that Commonwealth countries seemed to have sent different things to the next of kin to commemorate their dead. While the dead mans penny seems to be fairly universal for Commonwealth nations in the 1st WW there were some differences. Canada, for example, also sent a memorial cross to the female next of kin as well as the penny and it seems Canada was the only country to do this. However in the second WW both New Zealand and Canada sent memorial crosses to the female next of kin. Again these seem to be the only two counties that did this (have read just recently that Australia is now looking at introducing a memorial cross for its KIA). I have two memorial scrolls to New Zealanders from both the first and second world wars and was wondering did any other commonwealth nation send scrolls like these to there next of kins? And if they did does any of the members here have one they could show?
    Here are my two. The first one is from WW1 and the second from WW2.
    Cheers
    Chris

Hi ChrisB, I'm pretty sure all Commonwealth soldiers rec'd a memorial scroll and plaque. In WW1 in Canada, the mother and wife (if there was one) also rec'd a memorial cross with a purple ribbon.

It is rare to get all the KIA components together now as when they were issued to the next-of-kin they arrived at diferent times. I believe the medals arrived first, then the plaque, then scroll and then memorial cross(s).

The medals and scroll in my collection ate to Pte. Thomas Alfred Hasted PPCLI, KIA May 8, 1915 at Frezenberg Ridge. Although I'm missing the Mother Memorial Cross and Plaque I do have the original KIA telegram, his photos, and items from his kit bag. I also have his Dad's medals, documents hat badges etc. A wonderful collection to 2 very brave Canadians. Here is a scan of Alfred's scroll.

Greg
    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X