Mystery Water bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Water bottle

Since I had some luck awhile back here identifying a badge, I thought I would see if any of you would know what this is.
    I brought this bottle because its an odd we thing and I had never seen anything like it before. The bloke selling it said it was an Australian “Jungle” water bottle ( it is broad arrow DD marked, so is Aussie) . The shape is reminiscent of the 37patt. but it’s a bit shorter, so the volumes less which makes me wonder if it really is for use in the jungle. Also looks as though it has never had a wool cover, or that it was ever meant to have one (this makes sense if it is intended for the jungle cause a wool cover would just rot in the jungle climate). The webbing cradle though is completely different. As you can see from the photo the wide back strap has two “C” hooks so it can be hung on the belt as well as having the side tabs that allow it to be hung on the shoulder braces or ,like here, from a strap. Another odd thing, the metal stopper fits onto the top with a light bulb like bayonet attachment.
    If anyone knows the official designation, or can confirm if it was intended for the jungle, I would be grateful if they could let me know.
    Cheers
    Chris

Hi Chris,

I must admit I am not an expert. But what I do know is the Australians used just about anything they could find for water bottles......from a 1908 Brit pattern to an American 44 Pattern. Ive also seen photos of Australians drinking from Japanese officer bottles.

The official photos (manuals) I have seen do show a bottle like yours being worn this does have a cover. But as I said above there is so much personalisation to equipment going on collectors just about accept anything as right.

In my opinion I have no reason to doubt the description the dealer gave you.

Steve.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X