Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ernest "Smokey" Smith - Last Canadian VC dies

Canada loses it's last surviving Victoria Cross Winner

VANCOUVER, Aug. 3 /CNW Telbec/ - Sergeant (Retired) Ernest Alvia "Smokey" mith, VC, has died today at the age of 91 in Vancouver. In consultation with the Smith family and in cooperation with other agencies, a military funeral is being planned to honour Sergeant Smith.
    As arrangements become definite, they will be posted to the Legion web site, http://www.pacificlegion.org/smokysmith.html , and announced to the media. A Valour Coordination Media Centre will be established at The Sutton Place Hotel at 845 Burrand St, Vancouver beginning tomorrow from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m., Pacific Standard Time, and will remain open until the morning after the funeral.
    Should the public have any enquiries, then can contact Veterans Affairs at 1-800-443-0394.
    The Smith family has asked for complete privacy during their time of mourning and the media and public are asked to respect this request. Media should place all inquiries to the Valour Media Centre, via email (smith.valour@forces.gc.ca ), or by telephone (604-225-2520, ext 2496).

He was at the annual Halifax Tatoo a few years ago and my mother got to go to the show with a volunteer group. She had him sign a program for me, and took some photos. She has fond memories of chatting with him, he was a very nice man by all accounts and a great ambassador.

You can read his citation here:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub...dwar/citations

He won his cross on Oct 21/22 1944 in Italy while serving with the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, part of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division. This is same day my grandfather was wounded fighting in Breskens, Holland with the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division.

At the going down of the sun
    and in the morning
    We will remember them

Rest in peace Smokey!

Gary

A very sad day for all Canadians. Rest in Peace.

Comment

A Prayer for 'Smokey'

Do not stand at my grave and weep
      I am not there. I do not sleep.
      I am a thousand winds that blow
      I am the diamond glints on snow.
      I am the sunlight on ripened grain
      I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush
      I am the swift uplifting rush
      of quiet birds in circled light
      I am the soft stars that shine at night. Do not stand at my grave and cry
      I am not there; I did not die.

Comment

Smokey Smith

Interesting article about Smokey.

Smokey's medal staying

By JOE WARMINGTON -- For the Toronto Sun

He's the last surviving winner of the Victoria Cross and there is no one more qualified on the subject.

And Ernest "Smokey" Smith made it clear last night there is no way his medal will be sold for profit upon his death. "Mine is not for sale," the 90-year-old military legend said over the phone from his Vancouver home. "I've given mine to the Seaforth Highlanders -- they get it when I die. It's in my will. It will never be sold."

What a guy. As the Night Scrawler, it was an honour to speak with him. It's something I always wanted to do -- you know, to say thanks. Smokey was awarded for his heroics in October 1944 in the Italian campaign and said it states in his will that the medal will be put on display in the Seaforth Museum in Vancouver for "all the kids to look at it."

The 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion, and the Sun have been on a fundraising drive to raise $275,000 to keep Cpl. Fred Topham's VC in Canada, which will now happen with a top up guarantee from the heritage minister.

Smith told me he's pleased Toppy's medal will remain in Canada but said he does not blame the family for selling it. "If they can sell it, sell it," he said.

Smith said he's been told he could sell his VC now for $300,000 but has declined. "I don't need it," he said. "What am I going to do with $300,000?"

Last night, he told me even though he gets a lot of attention, he spends a lot of time thinking of "the kids who didn't come home." It's been 60 years since his bravery earned him the VC but Smokey said the horrors of war have never left him. "I have nightmares once in a while," he said. "But it's nothing I can't handle."

Now what was that we were complaining about. What a great Canadian. Thanks again, Smokey. <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_147366-->

Comment

Rest in peace Smokey!

You are a true icon of Canadian history and our fight for freedom.

R

Comment

Here is another great photo of this great Canadian hero proudly showing off his VC.
            Attached Files

Comment

I remember meeting him 2 years ago. What a great guy, funny as hell and far from being a gentlemen...for him, that'd be a compliment! RIP Sir.

Comment

RIP.

An amazing story -how he got his VC.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X