Why not a 1939-45 Star for him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not a 1939-45 Star for him?

I'm researching an officer who was in the RCAF from July40 to Oct45. His record shows the bulk of his time was in East Africa. Between Dec42 and Nov44 he bounced between 246 Wing, 209 Sqn, 5 Sqn, 265 Sqn, and East Africa HQ. Stations include Madagascar, Seychelles and Mombassa. He earned a pilot's flying badge and was trained in radar. The awards card is checked off for the Defense Medal, GSM and CVSM with clasp.
    My question is: was he deserving of the 1939-45 Star? I'm not sure of all the award criteria for this one but as I understand it, any service in the armed forces during wartime entitled you to one. Two years in East Africa would seem to fall into that category.
    I've attached a snippet of the record.
    Thanks very much.

RAF Qualification

Hello Adam,
    He would have had to serve in operations against the enemy,providing that 2 months service had been completed in an operational unit.I think you will find East Africa is not an combat area of operations.
    Cheers Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Jack
      Hello Adam,
      He would have had to serve in operations against the enemy,providing that 2 months service had been completed in an operational unit.I think you will find East Africa is not an combat area of operations.
      Cheers Jack
      Jack,
      Thanks for the clarification. The Medal Yearbook I consulted did not have that that information.
      Last edited by Adam Lewis; 08-01-2005, 10:25 AM. Reason: smile reference

Comment

From the appendix of "The War Medal, 1939-45..........etc", Committee On The Grant Of Honours & Medals, June 1946 (note that there were differing lengths of service required for qualification, the below relates to RAF air-crew qualification):

(i) The 1939-45 Star is granted for service in operations during the period from 3rd September 1939, to 2nd September 1945.

(iv) Air Force -

(a) The 1939 - 45 Star is awarded to all air crew who took part in operations against the enemy, subject to the completion of 2 months in an operational unit.

(b) Air crew service in operations against the enemy between 8th May 1945 & 2nd September 1945 in the area described in sub para (iii) (b) will qualify, subject to the completion of 2 months in an operational unit:

(iii)

(b)
        Qualifying service between 8th May 1945 - 2nd September 1945 must have been rendered in operations in specified zones in the area bounded on the east by the west coast of the American continent & on the west by a line running along the western & then the southern frontier of the Chinese Republic to the point where the Dihang River crosses the latter into Assam, along the left bank of this river & the Brahmapatra & Meghna River, down the east coast of India to Point Calimere, to the northernmost point of Ceylon & down the east coast of Ceylon to the southernmost point of the island, then along a line 300 miles south, thence to a point 300 miles west of the southernmost point of Sumatra, & continuing east to the western side of Sunda Strait, thence through Christmas Island, & southwards along the Meridian of 110 E.

(iv)

(c) In addition, non -aircrew personnel serving in the area of an Army operational command will qualify, 6 months service in the area of the operational command being the qualification, & special exemption being made for those evacuated, eg, from Dunkirk, Norway etc, as for the Army.

(d) Non air-crew personnel serving afloat qualify under the same conditions as members of the Navy & Merchant Navy.

(vi) General-

(a) Operational service for a lesser period than 6 months & 2 months respectively, but brought to an end by death, wounds, or other disability due to service qualifies. The grant for service in operations, of an Honour, Decoration or Mention in Despatches or King's Commendation is , in the armed Forces or Merchant Navy, a qualification for the award of the Star.

Operational Service
        (13)

The 1939-45 Star & The Africa Star:

(v)
        In the following operations, service of 6 or 2 months qualifies for the award of the 1939-45 Star. Entry into operational service qualifies for the Africa Star.

From 10th June 1940 - 12th May 1940
        North Africa (troops under Allied Force Headquarters, & Middle East Command excluding formations not west of the Suez Canal & Red Sea.

From 10th June 1940 - 27th November 1941
        Abyssinia (including attacks on Moyale, Elwak & Kassala).

From 10th June 1940 - 17th November 1941
        Eritrea.

The Somalilands.

Kenya (excluding Tanganyika territory & Uganda, except to troops whom the GOC-in-C East Africa is satisfied were called forward from Uganda for operations in Lake Rudolph area).

Anglo - Egyptian Sudan.

From 10th June 1940 - 12th May 1945
        Malta.
        Last edited by leigh kitchen; 08-05-2005, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Leigh,
          That's quite a nice bit of detail. I had no idea the criteria were so specific!

Thank you for taking the time to make such a full reply.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X