Calling Garth and Leigh Kitchen !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling Garth and Leigh Kitchen !!!

Can I have your opinions on this one lads........this one I left at the shop.

Ive always wanted one of these but as can be seen the condition isnt great as most of the bottom half of the badge is missing. This is also not the most impressive example out there.

Can you date this badge?

Would you just wait until a better example surfaces?

Cloth & bullion are'nt my strong point, but it from the photos I'd pay the 22 for it, the crown's Victorian? Perhaps a King's Crown (it's not that far from being St. Edwarsds). I would'nt judge them as common & pending a closer look & a fondle to make sure it's not a modern Pakistani production I would'nt worry about the condition - would the bottom of the badge be trimmed down to mate with the chevrons?

Comment

Many thanks for your opinion.

Just been digging for the last 30 minutes. Your were nearly right mate!

I had a look in the "International Militaria Collectors Guide" 2001 page 85.

Theres a GV example in there. It would appear that there should be crossed swords under the badge. The GV example has a bugle under the crown for the RMLI.

This example is probably GVI or EII.....1922 onwards? So sorry I didnt take a photo of the back but it is of thin black oil cloth construction.

The example featured in the book has a red cloth backing not blue.

Am I correct in my assumption regarding the date and crossed swords? Maybe the crossed swords were dropped on later arm badges?

Thanks,

Steve.
      Last edited by yellow; 07-24-2005, 02:03 PM.

Comment

IMO the crown is the standard St. Edward's type curently in use by the RN and RM. There are a number of these badges turning up at collectors fairs starting from £5, that asking price of £22 to me is far too high.

Comment

I have no reference to hand to compare, I always dislike the tall versions of St Edwards Crown with the less prononced ears, just seem reminiscent of modern Pakistani bullion.

I can't see a genuine version of this badge with St Edwards Crown going for less than this asking price round my way, modern though it may be.

Comment

Marc is correct in that the rank of colour sergeant was still around in 1980 to my knowledge. As a Royal Marine medal collector I can never recal seeing a single medal to a colour sergeant for sale. If the medals are rare then one must assume that so are the badges. Your Marine Commando is not going to have many colour sergeants!

I also own several of the histories produced on the marines and there are no photos of anyone wearing this arm badge.

Marc,

I would very much appreciate you forwarding the relevant dealers contact details on, as for a fiver I would buy ten.......one for myself and nine more to sell on to my friends.

Steve.

Comment

Steve,

The rank of Colour Sergeant is still in use, the only reason I can come up with for the shortage of badges is that they hand in the blue uniform on leaving. I don't think that there's any shortage of C. Sgts.

As to the medals I can only imagine the pride of being a 'Royal' makes them and their families hang on to them.

Probably the ultimate R.M. group to aspire to would be that of Colour Sergeant G. R. 'Gillie' Howe DCM, MM, BEM. A rack that stretches from Korea to N.I. and every hot spot between. I was within touching distance of them at his leaving run at R.M.Poole in the late 70s . It was this day that we heard he had been selected in the first batch for the reinstituted MSM, he was and as far as I know still is a true gent. He was I believe the most highly decorated serving NCO in the British forces at the time of his retirement. He went on to found 'Modern and Antique Firearms' in Tuckton, Christchurch. He is the 'father' of long range pistol shooting in the UK, and used to custom build long range pistols.
              I hope it's many years before his medals hit the market.

Comment

Go to the Militaria Fair at the Royal Dockyard Chatham, there have been at least 3 on seperate stalls. August 10th is the next one.

Comment

Interesting info Jim.

Funny you should bring up the Naval MSM.........I was speaking to one of those last Monday. His other medal is the LSGC. He served all over the world in the late 1960'/70's but they shipped him out before he could earn anything else on the gong front. He was Fleet Air Arm...........not interested in selling his MSM

Hang on a second, 'within touching distance'.......were you about to receive an MSM in the same line up?

What always amazes me about militaria is that whats common in certain parts of the UK is rare in others. Up north we struggle for the navy stuff.

Many thanks for the tip Marc........I wil have to make contact with a dealer who I know is going and get him to pick some bits up for me.

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow
                    Hang on a second, 'within touching distance'.......were you about to receive an MSM in the same line up?

Steve.
                    Zip, Nada, Nothing mate. That was within touching distance of the great group. I do have a couple of good shooting medals, please don't make me do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

An RN MSM yourself! Great stuff!

I also collect shooting medals. Any Bisley 1<sup>st</sup> Prize gold gongs amongst your awards? Maybe something juicy like a Queen Mary Prize? Now that was difficult to win in the 70's!

It might be time for a new thread!

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow
                        An RN MSM yourself! Great stuff!

I also collect shooting medals. Any Bisley 1<SUP>st</SUP> Prize gold gongs amongst your awards? Maybe something juicy like a Queen Mary Prize? Now that was difficult to win in the 70's!

It might be time for a new thread!

Steve.
                        What a night this is one way and another, Steve, I have no medals of my own, only 'honourable discharge docs' . Absolutely nothing else, all other medals belong to earlier generations.

Comment

Ah, sorry for my Sherlock Holmes approach. I get carried away sometimes.

Any gong is worth a look-see. Have you posted your familles medals before on forum?

Steve.

Comment

Yes I have, a search under Gumbrill should reveal them, Mother's side of the family. I'd post them again but T.F. always says I'm taunting him with the Bechuanaland L.S.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X