Britsh Hat Badge ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britsh Hat Badge ?

Hi all, I bought this as an British WW1 Hat badge but I have never seen one like this before..
    Anyone know something about it?

All the best from Sweden

Christer
    Attached Files

South African, Regiment President Steyn, formed 1/4/34..
    When part of the Commonwelth South Africa was perhaps unique(?) in naming regiments after "heroes" other than the members of royalty or non -royalty who raised them.
    The regiment was raised I think at Blomfontain & served in North Africa & Italy.
    It was amalgamated with Regiment Botha as a result of heavy casualties to both regiments.
    The badge shows the motto of the city of Blomfontain, the family crest of Steyn who was president of the Orange Free State Republic 1896 - 1902
    The Vickers MG denotes the units MG role.
    Last edited by leigh kitchen; 07-23-2005, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Thats a cap badge from the Souh African President Steyn Regiment. They were formed in 1934. Lt.-Col. McHardy was the first Commanding Officer, when mobilisation for WWII took place on the 5th June, 1940. Volunteers from the De Wet and Louw Wepener regiments and the O.V.S. Veld Artillerie were transferred, and the strength was 314 other ranks. The unit arrived in Egypt in June, 1941, as Machine Gun Battalion of the First S.A. Division. The regiment saw much active service in the desert, notably at Sidi Rezegh, where No. 3 Company went into action with four officers, 117 other ranks and 25 natives, and brought out one officer, 44 other ranks and nine natives. At the end of 1941 the regiment was placed under the 5th S.A. Infantry Brigade. In March drafts were received from the 3rd Transvaal Scottish. In April, Lt.-Col. W. P. Minnaar succeeded McHardy as Commanding Officer, and commanded during the El Alamein fighting in June. In January, 1943, the unit was back in the Union under Lt.-Col. A. S. Nel, who became Commanding Officer of the amalgamated Botha/ Steyn Regiment in August. See BOTHA REGIMENT. Major P. H. Ollemans is the present Commanding Officer.

Comment

Wow !!

Thanks Leigh and Ciaran !!

I know there would be some experts out there.

Again 1000 Thanks !

Christer

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X