British Medal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Medal...

I picked this up today. Can you tell me what it is? I would also like to know if it is authentic or if it has any value.
    Attached Files

Hi,it is the 1939-1945 star.

It looks ok to me.
    David F

Comment

David,
      Thanks for the ID. I know nothing about British medals...is there a US or German medal that would be its equivalent? Is this piece very collectible or sought after?

Comment

Value around £6 - £9.
        It is a very common medal, along with the War Medal the cheapest of the 8 stars & 2 medals of the British WWII series of campaign awards.
        A very basic explanation of its award conditions is that it was granted for service in ops between 3/9/39 - 2/9/45, personnel had to spend 6 months afloat in an active operational area, or 6 months on land, or 2 months in the air. Certain campaigns like the Dunkirk evacuation, certain commando raids, wounds, death, all earned the star without having to serve the full qualifying period.
        It's a complicated business, working out the criteria for these British stars, but that's about the gist of it - I can post the whole skreel if you want though.
        Last edited by leigh kitchen; 07-21-2005, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the great information. Since it doesn't seem to be of great significance, off to eBay with it!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X