Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Records

Hello,

I am trying to find out some back ground on a relative of mine who was in the RNAS. I have looked though the UK National Archives web pages and it says they can do it for you but at 15 pounds for 15 minutes it seems a little expensive. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who has done this and who knows how the system works. I am trying to get Sqn war diaries for the time that he was with the Sqn and any doc's that pertain to him. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Cam

Hi Cam, I have been to the National Archives, or the Public Records Office as it was called back when I last went in 1993.

First off, you are going to be looking at two separate sets of records. Your chaps service records will be on microfilm. The Sqn will be the originals.

It takes time to locate the records in the filling system. This is the biggest time aspect to research there. There are various proffesional researchers who you can hire. Here is one that Tony has recommended in the past:

http://www.militaryresearchon.com/

There really is no way around it, if you want the records you just have to pay or go down there yourself (only good if you live in the UK of course). I look at it like this; how much would a day off work cost me, in addition to cost of travel, meals, etc for the day? If you look at it this way, then the fees don't appear as bad as your might first think?

I will be going down there myself later this year to obtain my Grandad's and great Uncles (also RNAS ) WW1 service records together with the records of a friends father.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

WW1 Records

Hello Ade,

Thanks for the help. This is exactly what I was looking for. It also appears to be alot cheaper and well organized than the offical Archives site.

What Sqn was your relative in? Mine was in 10 RNAS. He was shot down on 22 July 1917 by AA fire while in combat with Jasta 11. His good friend J Page was also shot down that day and now they are buried together in France.

Thanks again for the help

Cam

Comment

Hi Cam, thanks, glad to have been some help.

I don't know anything at all about my Great Uncle Den's service in the RNAS. I did not even know he was in the RNAS until I obtained the family photo albums a number of years ago now and found a 1915 dated photo of him in uniform. I cannot recall meeting him, as he died in 1966 and lived in Scotland, so if I ever met him I would only have been 5 years old at best.

Here is Uncle Den.

Cheers, Ade.
        Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic Photo

Hello Ade,

That is a absolutly fantastic photo. I have PM'd You.

Cam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X