Lancs Fusiliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lancs Fusiliers

I'd like some opinions on this one. I've had it for quite a while, never been totally happy with it. It appears to be gilt, not the greatest quality, but the white metal part looks just like that not silvered. Any ideas?
    Attached Files

back
    Attached Files

Comment

Strange, presumably an officers poor quality job.
      Possibly a private purchase OR's badge for walking out etc?
      Too old a badge design to be produced in a modern shiny Other Ranks sort of finish.
      Can only guess that it is gen, just not a quality item.

Comment

I quite like this badge and it's a useful reference piece. The laurel scroll and sphinx are nice and deep and I would say that Leigh's suggestion of a private purchase echoes my thoughts. My OSD has pins in a similar location. Pinned overlays have been a trait of Indian bazaar strikes but they then tend to be cast and have funny looking sliders.

Attached is a similar badge I got hold of cheaply this week, a Lincolnshire Territorials which again I thought may be a private purchase as the nickel is very thick and beautifully stamped, whereas the scroll is very thick, possibly gilt and what appears to be cast. The funny slider throws a spanner in the works though!!

Keith
        Attached Files

Comment

and the rear,
          Attached Files

Comment

I have a West Yorks cap badge of the same construction - not the slider but the "rivetted" look to the heavy scroll.

It appears old, I was thinking that it was an other ranks example from the beginning of the designs life (1896 or whatevr, can't remember offhand).

This links badge strikes me as too oddball to be a fake, tho' you never know.

Comment

Quite agree, though I don't know what to think of it. In my opinion it's one level up from a Staybrite. Tacky, gaudy, whatever but not something that I'd like to wear. Not as a matelot anyway

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
              This links badge strikes me as too oddball to be a fake, tho' you never know.

Comment

Looks good IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen View Post
                  Strange, presumably an officers poor quality job.
                  Possibly a private purchase OR's badge for walking out etc?
                  Too old a badge design to be produced in a modern shiny Other Ranks sort of finish.
                  Can only guess that it is gen, just not a quality item.
                  It's a Birmingham Mint (or similar) production, one of a set of copy badges for the collectors market, now often sold through dishonesty or lack of knowledge as officers genuine badges - but you know that by now Jim.....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X