Meeting a 6th A/B Vet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting a 6th A/B Vet

Hi Guys, last weekend I was at a show and had the pleasure of meeting a Veteran of 13th Battl The Parachute Regt. His name was Mr Dawes. We talked at some length about his service. He was 84 now and had a very good memory for detail.

He was serving with the Leicestershire Regt in Normandy in June 1944 when they were called up to reinforce 6th A/B Div. After the action was over, a call came out for volunteers needed to help refill the ranks of the 6th A/B Div due to the heavy losses they had suffered. He recalled that any volunteers would be sent straight back to the UK for training. He said he liked the sound of that as it was better than sitting in a trench in France being shot at! Plus the extra "Bob" a day in special pay was appealing too. He did the usual training via Hardwick Hall and Ringway. He did not realise that Ringway is today's Manchester Airport. His jump training was done via the ballon and Whitley bomber. He never "rang the bell" but several of his mates did and suffered broken noses and teeth. He said the ballon jump was worst and it seemed to take the 'chute a long time to open.

He joined 6th A/B and served in the "Bulge". I asked if he ever got issued with white snow camo oversmocks, but he did not. They just wore the Denison.

For "OP Varsity", the Rhine Crossing, he did not jump but was assigned to the MT section. He crossed the Rhine in a Buffalo with an A/B Jeep and two Airborne 10cwt trailers full of 3inch mortar ammo.

He recalled meeting the Russian Forces on the Baltic where 6th A/B cut off the Soviets from swinging North in Denmark. He recalled lots of the Russians had cameras. Stolen from the Germans no doubt?

As I mentioned earlier, he had a good memory for detail. His blouse was a 1940 pattern with "Parachute Regt" shoulder titles, printed Pegasus, wings and black battalion lanyard. I asked if he ever wore the straight "Airborne" titles? No he replied. He still has his wings but he wore his blouse out using it for work clothng after the War. His beret went the same way, but this was a result of a workmate fooling around. He grabbed it from his head and threw it acroos the workshop where it went through a planing machine which shredded it

When the Battl was shipped to the Far East at the end of the war he said that they were issued with Khaki Drill uniforms but coloured green (Jungle Green's) he also mentioned that they were issued new webbing equipment as well to match; this was all green too he said, even the buckles were green. This would have been the new "1944 pattern" webbing

He later saw service in Palestine where he rejoined the Leicesters.

I really enjoyed chatting with him. Here is his photo.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Adrian Stevenson; 07-17-2005, 04:25 AM. Reason: Spelling!

Very interesting story.

How many years did he serve in the Army?

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
    Hi Guys, last weekend I was at a show and had the pleasure of meeting a Veteran of 13th Battl The Parachute Regt. His name was Mr Dawes. We talked at some length about his service. He was 84 now and had a very good memory for detail.

He was serving with the Leicestershire Regt in Normandy in June 1944 when they were called up to reinforce 6th A/B Div. After the action was over, a call came out for volunteers needed to help refill the ranks of the 6th A/B Div due to the heavy losses they hade suffered. He recalled that any volunteers would be sent straigh back to the UK for training. He said he liked the sound of that as it was better than sitting in a trench in France beig shot at! Plus the extra "Bob" a day in special pay was appealing too. He did the usual training via Hardwick Hall and Ringway. He did not realise that Ringway is today's Manchester Airport. His jump training was done via the ballon and Whitley bombers. He never "rang the bell" but several of his mates did and suffered broken noses and teeth. He said the ballon jump was worst and it semed to take the 'chute a long time to open.

He joined 6th A/B and served in the "Bulge". I asked if he ever got issued with white snow camo oversmocks but he did not. They just wore the Denison.

For "OP Varsity" the Rhine Crossing, he did not jump but was assigned to the MT section. He crossed the Rhine in a Buffalo with an A/B Jeep and two Airborne 10cwt trailers full of 3inch mortor ammo.

He recalled meeting the Russian Forces on the Baltic where 6th A/B cut off the Soviets from swinging North in Denmark. He recalled lots of the Russians had cameras. Stolen from the Germans no doubt.

As I mentioned earlier, he had a good memory for detail. His blouse was a 1940 pattern with "Parachute Regt" shoulder titles, wings and black battalion lanyard. I asked if he ever wore the straight "Airborne" titles? No he replied. He still has his wings but he wore his blouse out using it for work clothng after the War. His beret went the same way, but this was a result of a workmate fooling around. He grabbed it from his head and threw it acroos the workshop where it went through a planing machine which shredded it

When the Battl was shipped to the Far East at the end of the war he said that they were issued with Khaki Drill uniforms but coloured green (Jungle Green's) he also mentioned that they were issued new webbing equipment too to match; this was all green too he said, even the buckles were green. This would have been the new "1944 pattern" webbing

He later saw service in Palestine where he rejoined the Leicsters.

I really enjoyed chatting with him. Here is his photo.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Charles, I cannot recall now what year he joined up, but he must have done quite a few years service.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hello Ade,

Superb story and great uniform details Nice to hear of stories like this before they are all lost

I was speaking with a veteran of the 13th once, and I got to know their family a little. His name was John Johnson. I will do a thread on him at some point. They gave me a few of his bits including a black lanyard. Just interesting to hear you mention it too.

Thanks, from Jack.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X