Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polish II Corp Militaria

Hi Guys !!

I noticed the threads about Polish award documents and medals and such so I thought I'd post a few pics of this grouping I have in my collection. This group happens to be a favorite of mine.

Here are the badges and award documents to a Polish soldier who fought with the Polish II Corp in North Africa, Italy, and France. He later joined the PRC in England and afterwards immigrated to Argentina.

His name was SGT Josef Kaiser...vey interesting "Polish" name...don't you think !?! I love groups, such as this one, that have the corresponding legitmacy papers and documents. Actually, I have many other photos and documents that pertain to Sgt Kaiser including his Argentine passport among others...its just that I can only hold so much in a riker mount !!!

Hey Adrian....a quick question...should WWII Polish militaria be exhibitied on the British Discussion Board (afterall, the Poles were part of the British Army in WWII) or should they be listed on the International discusison board !?! I don't want to offend anyone...afterall, I'm half English (which I am very very proud of by the way) and my Uncle served in the RAF in WWII...and my Grand Dad played football for Leeds way way back !!!...

Thanks,

Vic
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vicjoy1945; 07-10-2005, 07:58 PM.

and more...interesting note - I believe the pic in the right hand corner is Gen Anders addressing Polish troops !!! My father served in the Middle east as well (although he joined after the 3rd Carp Rifle fought at Tobruk) and I remember him talking about Gen Anders...great stuff !!!
    Attached Files

Comment

...and other documents, ribbons, Soldier's book, etc, etc...let me know if you'd like to see detail images of anything in this grouping...the badge's numbers tie to each legitimacy document as well...again...a beautiful grouping to a Polish soldier !!!
      Attached Files

Comment

Oh, that is an extremely wonderful group of Polish militaria.

I love Polish Regt badges and decorations.

Originally posted by vicjoy1945
        ...and other documents, ribbons, Soldier's book, etc, etc...let me know if you'd like to see detail images of anything in this grouping...the bages number tie to each legitiamcy document as well...again...a beautiful grouping to a Polish soldier !!!

Comment

Hi Charles !!

Thank you so much for your comments !!!

Vic

Comment

Amazeing! I would love to have that in my Collection!

Comment

Hi Vic,

Was there any doubt that I'd reply to this one? My Granddad also served with the 2 SBSK in N.Africa and then was later absorbed into the 3DSK so this grouping close to my heart. It is a fantastic and a very nice and complete grouping. If there is more to it than please share as I would LOVE to se it all. I'd especially like to see a close up of the photo of Anders.

Many, many thanks for showing!!!!

Cheers,
              Greg

Comment

Hi Vic,

Fantastic grouping! Very comprehensive. Thank you for sharing that! As the son of a veteran of the Polish II Corps I have a keen interest in any and all items related to General Anders’ soldiers and his military organization.

As an aside, my father recalls once when General Anders was personally conducting a review of his troops and came up to my father in line. As he approached my father standing at attention, in the process of asking a how he was doing he looked my father directly in the eye with an intense and unforgettable gaze “that pierced right through me as though he was sizing me up as a soldier, as a Pole willing to die for my nation – a moment I will never forget”. It is well known that General Anders was very much in tune with his soldiers, and as a result had their utmost respect.

I highly recommend that anyone with an interest in this great commanding officer and his Polish Second Corps read his book “An Army in Exile”. This is a must read if there ever was one – a book that once started is very difficult to put down. A riveting account in every respect.

Many thanks again Vic!

Cheers,

Tony

Comment

good

it's splendid !!! really
                  i like your display of insignia and paper, documents !!
                  this a good job !!
                  @+

Comment

Hi Vic,

Incredible grouping, thank you for sharing it with us! By the way, Free Polish stuff should definitely be in the Brit & Commonwealth board as far as I'm concerned!

Hey Adrian....a quick question...should WWII Polish militaria be exhibitied on the British Discussion Board (afterall, the Poles were part of the British Army in WWII) or should they be listed on the International discusison board !?! I
                    Thanks,

Vic

Comment

Hi Vic, great items.

I am very happy to see them in this section of the forum. I have always been fond of Polish items. And as the Free Polish Forces were uniformed and kitted out by the British I think it is logical to include them here.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi VIC , very nice lot ,thanks for showing ,
                        Just a point , it always seems to be polish soldiers that saved the ` boring` bits of paper ,award cards ? where as british soldiers generally did not?
                        do you guys have any comments why this is so ? is it because the paper items were very nice quality or ( with great respect ) is this something common with polish mentality ?
                        just curious ?????
                        Michael.

Comment

The cards are generally better produced, personalised with a serial no. & that - Brit stuff tends to come without a card or other document.

Comment

Originally posted by SHEARING-CROSS
                            Hi VIC , very nice lot ,thanks for showing ,
                            Just a point , it always seems to be polish soldiers that saved the ` boring` bits of paper ,award cards ? where as british soldiers generally did not?
                            do you guys have any comments why this is so ? is it because the paper items were very nice quality or ( with great respect ) is this something common with polish mentality ?
                            just curious ?????
                            Michael.
                            Hi Michael !!

The Poles were very proud soldiers...I've often heard that they were much admired by their Allies for the way they conducted themselves both on and off the battlefield. They fought with much fervor for their homeland and the families many of them left behind. The Polish soldier had a very personal score to settle with the enemy. I think this a large part of the reason why many of them kept these documents and papers. Also, the documents were well made and personal to each soldier which may be another contributing factor.

I have several such groupings and I'm ALWAYS looking for more if anyone out there has them for sale or trade !!!

Vic

BTW - hey Greg...I'll try to get pics of some other other items and documents that pertain to this soldier as well as a close up of the Gen Anders photo asap !!

Comment

The Poles were very proud soldiers...I've often heard that they were much admired by their Allies for the way they conducted themselves both on and off the battlefield. They fought with much fervor for their homeland and the families many of them left behind. The Polish soldier had a very personal score to settle with the enemy... .
                              Very well stated Vic!

Interesting topic. I had not previously heard that it was a peculiarity of the Poles to hold on to their documentation.

Another possible twist as to why this may have been a trait of the Poles is to consider the road they traveled just prior to finding their way into the Allied Forces in the west. Most of them had made arduous and peril filled journeys in escaping war torn Poland after the invasion by the Germans and Soviets.

Both of the occupying armies had gone to considerable effort to prevent any escape of Polish military personnel out of the country. Needless to say, identification documents, whether real or not (in cases where identity was to me masked) were critical in the escape and survival process. Ones very life hinged on the ability to verify (or hide) real identity by means of a nothing more than a piece of paper.

Another consideration is that in the pre-war Polish military, most actions, even the most routine, were accompanied by authorizing documentation. I believe I have a pre-war army document somewhere in my collection, complete with regimental stamp, authorizing something as trivial as length of a soldier’s hair in excess of accepted norms. So this attachment to formal paperwork may have been drilled into these soldiers from their early military experience.

Regards,

Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X