OP Telic medal prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP Telic medal prices

Hi guys,i was watching this on speedbid basicaly because my brother has the same medal and was wonderng if the price is really to high or is this the going price on this medal?
    http://www.speedbid.com/lot.cfm?lotID=356534
    cheers
    David

I think many modern medals are really expensive, because there are not a lot on the market..... yet.

Comment

Yep, when they were firat being dished out those glttery little Queens Golden Jubilee Medals were changing hands for £250, even though everyone knew that thousands of the things were being issued.

It's been the same with other "new" medals in recent years, for some reason some people want one yesterday & will pay a couple of hundred rather than wait for a few months & pay £20.

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
        Yep, when they were firat being dished out those glttery little Queens Golden Jubilee Medals were changing hands for £250, even though everyone knew that thousands of the things were being issued.

It's been the same with other "new" medals in recent years, for some reason some people want one yesterday & will pay a couple of hundred rather than wait for a few months & pay £20.
        The significance of this one is the bar and rosette which was only awarded for the war fighting on op TELIC 1. Those on TELIC 2 onwards from May 2003 to the present day do not have the bar and rosette. The fact these are named unlike the Queen jubillee makes it rarer and depending on the owner may be from a prestigious regiment.

Comment

Yes, these may be considerations, but I also go along with the suggestion that "new" medals command higher prices when they first start coming on to the market.
          Prices settle down after a while, but for some reason there seems to be an immediate "must have" attitude amongst people who arguably have more money than sense. If they can afford to pay far more than they would need to a few months, a year later then good luck to them.
          "A scarce medal is a scarce medal & will stay at a high price, but medals such as the Golden Jubba-lubba illustrate the point.
          Just a query - is a medal to the RA scarce & desirable in Op Telic terms?

Comment

Yes, these may be considerations, but I also go along with the suggestion that "new" medals command higher prices when they first start coming on to the market.
            Prices settle down after a while, but for some reason there seems to be an immediate "must have" attitude amongst people who arguably have more money than sense. If they can afford to pay far more than they would need to a few months, a year later then good luck to them.
            "A scarce medal is a scarce medal & will stay at a high price, but medals such as the Golden Jubba-lubba illustrate the point.
            Just a query - is a medal to the RA scarce & desirable in Op Telic terms?
            If it is for an officer yes but this one just says gunner. I would say if was to a gunner from 7 Para RHA or 29 Commando RA it will more valuable than the Gunner regiment who were with the AS90 regt with 7 Armd bde. That is alot of money for a single medal for a bog standard gunner and still alot for a Cdo or Para gunner. Perhaps the bidder knows more about the owner. One point is these medals do not list units nor even regt or corps: only rank and names.

Comment

The medal should have
              Number Rank Initials Surname and Corps
              ie
              24956897 GNR J. BLOGGS, R.A.

Also the Rosette should not be worn on the ribbon suspending the medal, it should be placed on the ribbon only (the piece on the dress uniform jacket), as it is to show the award of the clasp.
              Last edited by Marc Sherriff; 07-11-2005, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff
                The medal should have
                Number Rank Initials Surname and Corps
                ie
                24956897 GNR J. BLOGGS, R.A.
                Mine has neither number nor regiment only rank, initials and name.

Comment

Royal Navy, or Police?

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff
                    Royal Navy, or Police?
                    Army

Comment

Max, Can you post up a pick of your Op Telic medal for comparison's sake.

The reason I ask will become clear.

This is the pic of the medal on David's link.

Graeme
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Graeme R; 07-11-2005, 03:42 PM.

Comment

This is the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...545379750&rd=1

and pic of an Op Telic medal on e-bay.

Both are listed as named correctly but to my eye the medals are different. The nose and cheek features of the Queen's head, the bottom part of the crown all appear different. I know that they are crap pics and taken from different angles but to me they are 2 diferent designs of the medal.

Which one is a copy or are they both copies. It could be that someone somewhere is about to lose a fair bundle of money.

Anyone else have an opinion on these medals? Am I barking up the wrong tree on this?

Cheers

Graeme
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by max7474
                          Mine has neither number nor regiment only rank, initials and name.
                          Sounds unusual, no unit - officer?

Comment

There are differences in the two medals, however until I can compare them with a known original all I will say is the ribbons are the wrong way round.

Comment

Sounds unusual, no unit - officer?
                              I have checked and am wrong - there is no regimental number but the regiment is there. memory must be going! I have checked on a second medal as well and again no regtl number but only regt/corps. The second one was isued for TELIC 2 and does not have the bar or rosette. Both are officers medals though.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X