Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

This is one of the few items I kept when I sold off my own Home front collection many years ago. I am sure many of you are familiar with this type of private purchase tin used for civilian respirators, but I wonder if any of you have seen one like this for the small child "Mickey Mouse" respirator. I loved it too much to sell it. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Regards,
            Steve
            Last edited by SMP; 07-08-2005, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

last:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Steve, I have never seen another one like it before. I can see why you kept it, as it is a great item. As you know the gas masks are always sought after. But this tin would have great appeal to both WW2 and Disney collectors. I suspect it would make very good money?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
                      I suspect it would make very good money?

Cheers, Ade.
                      Adrian, you wouldn't believe how much I have already been offered !

It is NOT FOR SALE.

Cheers,
                      Steve

Comment

I have never seen one of these, but remember my Mother, who spent the whole of WW2 in London, telling me about the Mickey Mouse gasmasks some of the luckier children had. Apparently they were the "Bees Knees", and every child wanted one.

Comment

The gas-mask itself was referred-to as the "Mickey Mouse" type. All children too small to wear the standard civilian mask wore one. The bright colours ( blue and red exist)and round, face-like eyes were designed to make the mask less frightening for small children, and to turn the whole experience of wearing it into a "game". The term "Mickey Mouse " was universely adopted to encourage this game playing idea. My father, who looked after my Aunt during the Blitz in London, remembers cardboard ears being issued along with her gasmask. I think this was probably a Local Authority thing since I haven't met anyone else who can remember it. I believe this tin is a limited-edition, private-purchase item designed to house the small child's repirator, and was probably sold through various shopping outlets. If anyone has any information about the "happynak" series, I would love to know. I think other colourful designs exist.

Regards,
                          Steve

P.S. This was brought into my friend's shop in Bournemouth a few years ago.

Comment

Very interesting piece. By pure curiosity, could you tell us, or PM how much you were offered. I would just like to know how this would compare with an SS helmet and such.

JL

Comment

What an interesting item, this is the first time that I've seen one of these. The condition appears to be very good, nice item, thanks for showing it.

Gerry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X