No announcement yet.

Polish Vets to head UK Victory parade!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, no problem. I should have clarified my point at the start.

Originally posted by Antoni Zawadzki
    Des, I apologize for the condescending tone of my reply. No offense was intended, just my frustration showing through.

Comment

Polish Cavalry Charge

Hello,

Speaking of Guderian, If you have read Achtung Panzer (the text book that he wrote before the war) he makes claims such as the French were the first to use Gas in Wourld War One. There are several instances where he makes absurd claims in Panzer Leader. He never actually states what polish unit made the attack or where it happened even if it wasn't in his AOR. Can you give a referance for the charge of the 18th Lancers. Also what german unit, where it happened etc...

Cam

Comment

Originally posted by Cam_S
        Speaking of Guderian, If you have read Achtung Panzer (the text book that he wrote before the war) he makes claims such as the French were the first to use Gas in Wourld War One. There are several instances where he makes absurd claims in Panzer Leader. He never actually states what polish unit made the attack or where it happened even if it wasn't in his AOR.
        Originally posted by George C.
        And as far as Guderian being a source…the passage was rather self-serving for the author.... I suppose that Heinz witnessed this with his own eyes?
        Very well stated.

Guderian was a brilliant commander, no question. His track record speaks for itself. However, one needs to avoid the temptation of deifying him (as many do) and considering every one of his statements on the events that took place as objective historical commentary.

Originally posted by Cam_S
        Can you give a referance for the charge of the 18th Lancers. Also what german unit, where it happened etc...
        You may find some specific references in the very good links provided earlier in George’s post.

This incident took place near Chojnice in the north western part of Poland that formed the Polish Corridor, or sometimes called the Danzig Corridor. The German troops belonged to 20th Motorized Infantry Division.

Hope that helps !

Tony

Comment

Here in the States on ABC News, July 10, they had some seconds of footage from the event.... including the Lanc dropping poppies, and a long shot of the standards.... there was a brief close-up of a Polish veteran.... has anybody found any photos on the web.... particularly, but not exclusively of Polish participation ?????

Comment

I was'nt paying much attention, but at some point a commentator (Mike Dewer I think?) stated in relation to fighting spirit or similar that Polish paras were breaking out of camp in order to attack Germans?
            Did anybody actually hear what he said please? (Teach me to be reading & drinking coffee when I should have been watching & listening).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X