Polish WWII Sailor Cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polish WWII Sailor Cap?

I picked this sailor's cap up several years for next to nothing and finally dug it out again. The tally (I think) is Polish but the cap is British? The reason why I'm posting it here is because I'm wondering if it's a Polish Navy in exile piece. Do the cap and tally go together and if the tally is even original in the first place. Just a quick inspection and it looks like they've been together forever, the tally is very tight on the cap. Any information at all on these would be greatly appreciated!

Eric
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

close-up of the weave of the tally
      Attached Files

Comment

inside
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi there , nice cap ,it would make sence that the free polish navy were issued british naval kit as i presume that they arrived in the uk with just the clothes they stood up in if you get chance have a look at the top front of the cap, for a couple of holes often the metal polish eagle badge was fixed to the front ,thanks for showing ,Michael

Comment

Hi Michael

No holes that I can see.

Eric

Comment

Is it safe to assume that this piece is "right" or does anyone see any red flags? I'm curious if the tally would have been something made in Britain or if it did come from Poland.

Thanks again!

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by blinky
                Is it safe to assume that this piece is "right" or does anyone see any red flags? I'm curious if the tally would have been something made in Britain or if it did come from Poland.

Thanks again!

Eric
                \

I see no "RED FLAGS" other than the tally should be centered....

It is suprising that there are no holes for the cap badge (they were either screw-back or pin-back) but the top of the cap, front and center, is pinched upwards as if a cap badge was present.... RN would not have had a cap badge.

Comment

Thanks George! I looked again, but no holes.

And I just centered the tally

Eric

Comment

HI THERE , sorry for the poor quality picture ,
                    but it shows what i mean about the badge , i would like to know what the letters mean .... would have thought a few of the polish collectors would have `dialed up ` best wishes ,Michael.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Michael,

I'd be happy to help if you specify what you need. If you're referring to the tallies then it's kind of hard to translate. A "marynarsz" is the Polish word for seaman. That said "Marynarka Wojenna" would kind of loosely translate to "War Navy" (I understand it all but find it difficult to translate from time to time so please forgive me if I'm a little off).

The fellow facing you wears the tally of the ship he served on. It's the O.R.P Garland (formerly HMS Garland). Loaned to the Poles on 2 May, 1940 and returned to the Brits on 24 September, 1946 and subsequently sold to the Dutch on 14 November, 1947. More info here: http://www.uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/5416.html

If you're wondering what O.R.P means it stands for Okret (meaning ship and pronounced okrent) Rzeczpospolita ( meaning republic. Not even going to try to explain how that's pronounced ) Polska (self explanitory). Which translates to Ship of the Republic of Poland.

If that's not the info you need then let me know what you need and I'll do my best.

Cheers,
                      Greg

Comment

Hi Greg , that sir was ` bang on ` just what i needed ,thanks ,Michael.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X