No announcement yet.

British Helmet Decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Leigh, that is why Greg should sell them all to us here As we would not add them to helmets. If they went to E bay I am sure they would soon to added to enhance a Tommy helmet? Actually there is a good chance they would not survive being applied. The chances are they would fall apart.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hey Greg,
      Beautiful set of decals! Keep us posted if/when/where you sell them -- I would definitely be interested in a few.
      -Lee

Comment

I would be very interested in obtaining the Royal Regiment of Artillery ones. Or a decent jpeg of them. can you post the Royal Horse Artillery?

Unknown Eagle holding lances with flags Hyderabad and Afghanistan = N Battery (The Eagle Troop) Royal Horse Artillery

All the best
        Marc J. Sherriff
        Last edited by Marc Sherriff; 06-25-2005, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Artillery Decals

Hi Marc, I'll scan all the artillery ones (that I know of) for the forum. My 10 year old scanner takes for ever to scan and I still haven't figured out how to balance the size of the image and the image quality for the forum.

Greg

Comment

You could always put them in the post to me & I'll scan them for you............

Heh heh heh.

Comment

A helping hand, the red and black (dark blue) Diamonds, possible identifications,

1. 120 Field Regt RA (South Midland) (TA) 1939-1946
              2. 39 (Lancs Fus) Search Light regt RA (TA) 1940-1943 or 574 (M) HAA Regt RA (7 Bn Lancs Fus) (TA) 1947-1955.
              3. 104 (Essex Yeo) Regt RA (TA) 1938-1947.
              4. 151 and or 152 (Ayreshire Yeo) Field regt RA (TA) 1940-1947.
              5. 55 (Suffolk Yeo) Anti Tank Regt RA (TA) 1939-1947.
              6. Maritime Regiments Royal Artillery.

The RA badge on a blue pennant is 17 LAA Regt RA (TA) 1938-1946 this I know was worn on the helmet, as was 6 Field Regt RA.

However, 199 Fd Bty RA is a post April 1947 number, so some of the others may also be the post April 1947 titles and numbers.
              Last edited by Marc Sherriff; 06-28-2005, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Is this the end of these?

Comment

oops, sorry Marc. I scan some more ASAP.

Greg

Comment

Some of us are still thinking of the selling aspect too?

Comment

Royal Horse Artillery Decal - back

Here's the 1st request. For many of these, the side of the decal that would attach or stick to the helmet appears like a silver silhouette. The details of the badge are printed on the paper backing. This doesn't scan well but here they are.

Greg
                      Attached Files

Comment

Royal Horse Artillery Decal - front

For many of the decal that are goemetric shapes, is the helmet insignia the same as whatever would be placed on a vehicle, only smaller?

Greg
                        Attached Files

Comment

More scans

......and more decals.
                          Attached Files

Comment

More scans

Here are some more. I think there are another 20-30 and I'll scan those later today. If there is anything in particular some would like to see in more detail, just let me know.

Cheers,

Greg
                            Attached Files

Comment

Brilliant thank you. The coloured shapes are similar to the pieces of cloth that would have been worn on the side of the Pugree or directly onto the Pith Helmet. Others are probably for use on notice boards and signs in the Unit Lines (Barracks). Are you familiar with what most of them are?

Comment

Hi Marc, I only know about decals from a Canadian context. From what I can tell, Canadian regiments and formations were more likely to use regimental designs in WW2 or divisonal hsoulder patch designs in WW1. WW1 helmet badges are painted on while WW2 are mostly decals although you see both.

There were a few Canadian regiments wearing headgear with a pungeree badges in South Africa during the Anglo-Boer War but I think mostly cavalry regiments used a pungeree flash rather than the large Canada Maple Leaf with the Victorian Crown brass or bronze badge. This is a new area for me and seems not well documented so maybe a more advance early Canada collector might lift the mists of mystery on what was worn by Canada in SA for the rest of us novice collectors.

Since I've purchased this collection I've had a chance to reread "Tin Lids" and the new French authored book so I have some Canadian info.

I may have to buy the English Tommy book, for general interest and also because there is also lots of British stuff locally which seems pretty cheap as no one is collecting it here. The book is always a good investment but I question whether I really need to suddenly become a "dealer" in British material.

G

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X