Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Northumberland Fusiliers Officers Barrack Cap 1938 - 40.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Northumberland Fusiliers Officers Barrack Cap 1938 - 40.

This arrived a couple of minutes ago, but I don't know a lot about it.

The info that I've got is that this Gosling Green (it's more of a brown in the photos I would think) & black cap is described (but not illustrated) in the Military Historical Society Special Booklet On Coloured Field Service Caps (Infantry) as:

"Worn by officers, who were only allowed to wear in mess dress by orderly officers: no. 1 Blues & when in camp. It was not permitted for wear in public".

I'm also told:

"Regimental History of the Northumberland Fusiliers mentions this cap being worn 1938 to 1940 because after <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><ST1lace Dunkirk</ST1lace</st1:City> they re-designed a kharki model of the above side-cap which was worn throughout the Second World War."

I love the old NF / RNF Gosling Green facings, it's been described as a muddy green but is more of a khaki colour.
    Allegedly the name is derived from the term "goose **** green" used by the Frenxh as an insult to the regiment during the Peninsular War.

Does anyone know any more about this type of cap please, any photos about?
    </XBODY><!-- toctype = X-unknown --><!-- toctype = text --><!-- text --><!-- END TOC -->
    Attached Files
    Last edited by leigh kitchen; 06-23-2005, 02:39 PM. Reason: said dark blue should've said black.

The front.
    Attached Files

Comment

Another shot of the badge, which measures 3 cm x 2 cm.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey Leigh,
        Nice looking cap! I have never seen any with a cut like that one. I have a few coloured caps, but they are all of the regular military overseas cap (see attached photo of a 1940 RAC cap).
        How do you know that this gosling green cap is early WW2? Could it be older?
        -Lee
        Attached Files

Comment

Hiya Leigh , the N.F `s cap is quite a rare beast
          if only i new earlier
          thanks for showing ,Michael.
          Last edited by SHEARING-CROSS; 07-01-2005, 12:03 PM.

Comment

The only info I've got are the references quoted. I'm looking for more.......

Comment

Originally posted by SHEARING-CROSS
              Hiya Leigh , the N.F `s cap is quite a rare beast
              if only i new earlier
              thanks for showing ,Michael.
              Thanks for the additional info - apparently worn only during the late 1930's by the Orderly Officer, & not outside barracks.
              Still can't find any further reference to it though.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X