• Show
Clear All

Fighting (Commando) Knife Question

Can anyone date this knife?

- Alloy grip (not knurled)
    - Broad Arrow impression and the number 8
    - Blackened Blade
    - Leather sheath.

The asking price for this one is 110 Brit.

Thanks for your help,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Very hard to tell without a photo (any chance of posting one?). As far as I know the numbers on F-S knives should range from 1-4 (mould numbers) so the number 8 seems odd to me? On the leather sheath what colour is the elasticated retaining strap?

Comment

No pic.....as the knife is in a local dealers shop now. I will have to be quick if its a good one and there is no time for photos.

Hope this helps Des!

The number 8 is impressed above the broad arrow. The markings are on the side of the handle just before the cross piece.

The strap looks to be black but this is well worn and broken. The sheath is brown leather.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve, get the camera out and get some pics It is very hard to say for sure "going blind" on an item.

Sounds like a Third pattern knife. Made from 1942 until today. I would prefer to hear that is has a brown elastic retainer rather than black.

Like Des mentioned mould numbers for the grip should be 1 to 4. Grip should be alloy with a copper plate wash then the black finish over that.

Any markings to the crossguard?

I would tend to think it will be a post war knife, but without pics it it impossible to give a firm opinion.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

It sounds postwar and £110 is too much for a gamble.

Comment

Is it an 8 or is it supposed to be a mis stamped B2?

Take Care !!!!!!!!

Yours, Guy.

Comment

The scabbard sounds post war. But could just have had it's elastic replaced. If the knife has a /I\ 8 on the lower grip it is most likely WW2 issue as they stopped these inspection marks after the war. Have a close look at the top of the grip just above the last ring you will find the mould number. This could be very worn., this should confirm it is war issue. The best option is like the other guy's have said, post a pictures and we will confirm it either way.
              Price wise if it has a hand ground blade and is WW2 it is worth that depending on condition. Again if it is WW2 issue with a machined blade it may be worth it, but you are at the top end at £110 for a really nice knife.
              Regards
              Irv

Comment

Thanks for all your help so far.

I had another look and its brown elastic on the the sheath. The metal fitments on the sheath to protect the blade are of blackened brass.

There are no other impressions on the knife other than an 8 above a broad arrow on the handle.

100% sure its an eight!

An eight must be a rare type if none of you chaps have seen it before? I heard a rumour that an 8 may be a navy knife?

Steve.

Comment

Hi Steve,
                  There is no way you can pin an inspection number down to any service. These knives where made at a number of different locations, and then passed over to the military who issued them issued them out to the soldiers who needed them. The only way you could say that this knife was issued to Navy/Marines is to know the man it was issued too.
                  Get some pictures done and then get back to us.
                  Regards
                  Irv

Originally posted by yellow
                  Thanks for all your help so far.

I had another look and its brown elastic on the the sheath. The metal fitments on the sheath to protect the blade are of blackened brass.

There are no other impressions on the knife other than an 8 above a broad arrow on the handle.

100% sure its an eight!

An eight must be a rare type if none of you chaps have seen it before? I heard a rumour that an 8 may be a navy knife?

Steve.

Comment

I found a knife listing on the net with a seller who decribed his knife as having the same markings on his knife. He claimed it was navy.............but I dont believe everything I read on the net.

Will try for those photos this morning.

Steve.

Comment

Steve,
                      Post the link to the web site where you have seen this other knife and I will check it out for you.
                      Irv

Originally posted by yellow
                      I found a knife listing on the net with a seller who decribed his knife as having the same markings on his knife. He claimed it was navy.............but I dont believe everything I read on the net.

Will try for those photos this morning.

Steve.

Comment

Here are the pics you asked for lads. Sorry about the third pic, I didnt have time to set up a lighting rig and tripod in the dealers shop

Comment

Hi Steve,

It's a late war third pattern. Scabbard is right and by the look of it the mould number is a '1'. The blade looks like it has been tipped and there is some rust, which is a shame.Price wise I would put it more like £50-£80 with the blade in that state, all depends on how much you want it. If it had the 'Endland' stamp on the crossguard it would be worth less. But it look like a nice honest knife.
                          Regards
                          Irv

Comment

Thanks for the info Irv. I would like one of these.....but I think I`d rather wait for an example with out corrosion on the blade.

Steve.

Comment

Hi Steve,

You should be able to get a 3rd Patt with a hand ground blade without any rust and in overall good nick for £100-£170 depending on condition of knife and scabbard. The blade should be 6 7/8 inch long, but don't worry to much if they are 1/4 inch shorter as the tips nearly always got broken off and re-ground. The elastic on the scabbards will nearly always be broken or well stretched, and the stitch on taps will nearly always be cut off!
                              If you find another knife post it here as there are some very knowledgeable guy's on this forum. Worth the subscription.
                              Regards
                              Irv
                              Last edited by britpc; 06-23-2005, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X