Irish Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish Medal

Not too sure if this thread belongs here with that whole North/South Ireland ordeal, but does anyone know what this medal is? I am assuming that it is some sort of WWII Irish jubilee medal due to the 1939-1946 date and the Gaelic inscription on the broach and medal. On the backside of the broach is inscribed the name “Quinn” which I am guessing is the recipient’s name.

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John F.; 06-11-2005, 08:12 PM.

Close-up of the "gong". There is a small inscription in front of the dog that reads "LAVRENCE CAMPBELL P.H.A." It does read "Lavrence" and not "Lawrence".
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John F.; 06-11-2005, 07:32 AM.

Comment

The sloted broach
      Attached Files

Comment

Here you go John

http://www.irishmedals.com/19391946.html

Comment

The Rep. of Ireland was Neutral during the second world war, but declared a state of 'Emergency' to deal with the threat of occupation by either the Allies or the Germans. This medal was awarded after the war to anyone who did national service with the Irish Army during this period.

It is worth noting here that any Axis or Allied servicemen finding themselves on Irish soil during the war were interned in the Curragh Camp near Dublin for the duration of the war. This was most usually airmen. However, a more lenient approach was unofficially adapted twords the allied personnel. Stories of them being loaded onto open trucks and brought up near the border with Northern Ireland 'for a walk' only to escape accross into British territory are common. The Luftwaffe crews were alowed out for day trips and many attended evening dances at the Gresham Hotel in O'Connell Street Dublin. One crew flew their Dornier Do-17 deliberately to Baldonnell Airdrome to land on neutral soil and sit out the remainder of the war in peace. Many others found themselves lost and putting down in the belief they were in enemy territory.

Comment

Nice example. These used to be ignored but are becoming rather popular collectables. Prices have skyrocketed in the past 10 years with the internet.
            Also see the OMSA website database.

Comment

Gentleman:

Thank you!

Harry: Interesting bit of information

Comment

John,

There were different types of this medal. One for naval guys, chaplains, reserves etc.... Yours was awarded to a guy who was in the regular army. My grandad (now deceased) got one of these I think but it was lost over time and I never got it. I remember them being everywhere at one time and only costing about 25 euro for the common ones. Now I see them at Irish fairs for around 70 euro depending on the type and condition etc...

p.s This thread should belong in the International forum because the Republic of Ireland is not part of Britain or the Commonwealth

Comment

Originally posted by Des Thomas
                  ... This thread should belong in the International forum because the Republic of Ireland is not part of Britain or the Commonwealth
                  Hi Des:

That is why I put in the “I don’t know if this belongs here” caveat. But you know what they say about Americans and geography…the only reason we go to war is so our school kids can learn about it. 70 Euro??? I picked this up for $20 US.

Best,
                  John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X