No announcement yet.

My Grandfather's WW II medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awsome medal group, you would be very proud.

Comment

39-45 Star

Hi Folks

I noted the discussion over this medal group. I suppose the missing emblem could be a medal however, like some vets I know, it could also be his active service pin. My Grandfather got his with his medals. I know several British veterans who only got the two medals shown below. In fact I have a photo of a 9th Battalion Para Regt fellow who is wearing the exact two medals and no 39-45 Star. He served in Germany and later India with the Ulster Rifles????

You might want to look into the missing item as being a service pin. Note it states, Medals, bars, emblems etc. This could mean MID oak leaves, Amry numerals and service pins.

KJ

Originally posted by nellyp51
      Awsome medal group, you would be very proud.

Comment

What's an active service pin?

Comment

The paper is titled "Campaign Star's, clasps and medals ..", so this leads me to believe that the enclosed decorations would be related to this description. With that in mind, I would think that "clasps or emblems" would be in relation to the medals enclosed.

Of course, this is a presumption on my part. I am certianly not ruling anything out at this point.

I also would like to know what an active service pin is?

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Emblems

Hi Mark

I do not disagree with you. I was just stating another possibility. Every veteran at the end of the war in the UK and Commonwealth got a war service pin. These are serial numbered to the veteran. I have one with my Grandfathers medals. I just thought it was a possibilty. The Canadian ones have a crown above a shield. I think the British ones are circular and have a royal cypher for George VI in the center.

KJ

Originally posted by Mark Schroeder
            The paper is titled "Campaign Star's, clasps and medals ..", so this leads me to believe that the enclosed decorations would be related to this description. With that in mind, I would think that "clasps or emblems" would be in relation to the medals enclosed.

Of course, this is a presumption on my part. I am certianly not ruling anything out at this point.

I also would like to know what an active service pin is?

Comment

I've never heard of an active service pin for British service personnel, could you provide more info please? What you've described sounds like the badge awarded to those wounded & discharged? In which case it will not be the "missing" medal,emblem or clasp.

Comment

medals

Hi Leigh

You are probably right. I thought the British had the same pin. It may be just a Canadian thing?? Its not an active service pin or a wounded-discharge pin, it is just a pin they wore to show that they served. This was sent with my Grandfathers medals, the little paper packet was in with the medal boxes. I thought for sure all British - Commonwealth people got these.

KJ

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
                I've never heard of an active service pin for British service personnel, could you provide more info please? What you've described sounds like the badge awarded to those wounded & discharged? In which case it will not be the "missing" medal,emblem or clasp.

Comment

The Brits got around to issuing a pin for WWI & WWII veterans recently, there's a thread on it in this forum - I started it because as usual I was a year or two behind the times & had to ask what it was.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X