Excluding the following:

Campaign Stars
    Defense Medal 39-35
    War Medal 39-45
    India War Service Medal 39-45
    Canadian Volunteers Medal
    South Africa War Service 39-45
    New Zealand War Service 39-45

What are some other ones that would be part of the WWII series?

Australian Active Service Medal.

Steve.

Comment

And the Rhodesian one. The Newfoundland issue also qualifies... if you can find/afford one.

Comment

I think you have them all nailed down Charlie, unless there are a few of the Commonwealth Service medals kicking around (for New Zealand etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by h009291
          I think you have them all nailed down Charlie, unless there are a few of the Commonwealth Service medals kicking around (for New Zealand etc.).
          Thanks Darrell and Guys, Just got an Africa service medal and trying to complete the WWII series and then I'm done with British medals. I love all the gongs but it's getting to be more of a minefield the TR stuff - named, un-named, re-named, White versus Native named, copies, restrikes, on and on.

Comment

British Empire Medal BEM

Comment

Originally posted by nellyp51
              British Empire Medal BEM
              Although, technically speaking, the BEM is a decoration not a campaign or service medal.

Comment

The bars too?

Originally posted by coastie
                Excluding the following:

Campaign Stars
                Defense Medal 39-35
                War Medal 39-45
                India War Service Medal 39-45
                Canadian Volunteers Medal
                South Africa War Service 39-45
                New Zealand War Service 39-45

What are some other ones that would be part of the WWII series?
                You should consider puting the bars in the display too. They were an integral part of the award system and were issued with the stars. I placed them under the relevant star.
                The Battle of Britain and Air Crew Europe bars are expensive but place holders can be had for a few dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Lewis
                  You should consider puting the bars in the display too. They were an integral part of the award system and were issued with the stars. I placed them under the relevant star.
                  The Battle of Britain and Air Crew Europe bars are expensive but place holders can be had for a few dollars.
                  Nice set

You now need the Dieppe and Hong Kong Bars for the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal

Comment

Originally posted by h009291
                    Nice set

You now need the Dieppe and Hong Kong Bars for the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal
                    Darrell,
                    OK - I'll take those extra ones you stuffed in the junk drawer!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Lewis
                      Darrell,
                      OK - I'll take those extra ones you stuffed in the junk drawer!
                      Yeah right

I've seen ONE Dieppe bar ... and it was sold here a while back ... what a grouping ... I'd hate to see what it went for

http://www.emedals.ca/catalog.asp?item=C208

Comment

Originally posted by coastie
                        I'm done with British medals. I love all the gongs but it's getting to be more of a minefield the TR stuff - named, un-named, re-named, White versus Native named, copies, restrikes, on and on.
                        I beg to differ. Absolutely nothing is more of a minefield than Third Reich stuff. British medals are pretty much self-explanatory. You just need to use the 'force' young Skythingy. Service number prefixes, trades, units and ships are all decypherable [Is that a real word? It is now!]. And these days it's all at the click of a mouse.

I agree there's a profusion of copy & replica junk on e**y, but it's very easy to tell the difference - usually by the asking price. The same cannot be said for Third Reich items - which were actually manufactured from cheap materiels in the first place (mostly).

Don't be scared. Just imagine all the precious things you'll miss out on, such as this thing of great beauty:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Tony is absolutely correct. British/Commonwealth medals in NO WAY compare to TR items as far as fakes and forgeries go... Yes there are pitfalls but they are relatively minor in comparison. After handling some original gongs it is relatively easy to identify the fakes from the original items. Naming is a somewhat more confusing issue in terms of style/font used impressed vs. engraved etc. However, there are general rules laid out regarding this and again, renamed and bogus named medals are relatively easy to spot. There are excellent online resources available, as well as numerous excellent books on the subject.

Those interested in British/Commonwealth medals may wish to visit the following excellent forum:

www.britishmedalforum.com

IMHO nothing compares to British/Commonwealth medals in terms of being esthetically pleasing and extremely researchable items to collect!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Actually-aren't there 2 South African medals? The African Service Medal (often seen with Italy/Africa star groups) and the South African Medal for War Services medal (@17,500 awarded). As The GSM with the S.E. Asia bar also included services involving clashes with non-surrendering Japanese forces, that also could be considered a "WW2" award by a stretch.
                            Lastly, I've always wondered what exactly was the award criteria for the Jordanian WW2 service medal-and the Egyptian one too. As these were Imperial Protectorates at the time-perhaps they should also count?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X