Unusual medal ribbon bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual medal ribbon bar

Hi all, not sure of this, I'm not a medal collector, purchased a mess of things and this was part of it, I have been trying to identify the medals for this ribbon bar, other than the British 1939/45 War medal, the goldie orange white goldie orange seems to be the Soviet order of the badge of honour awarded to its citizens, any idea on how this could be?
    thanks Mark
    Attached Files

As I know, the Soviet Medals were never made in other sizes than the Soviet width.
    Must be something else and only this high Award and a common british one alone is doubtfull.

Comment

Yes Nico , this piece has age and I agree it is odd, nothing in British WW2 medals shows this ribbon, this below is an example of the Russian ribbon off the net ???
      Attached Files

Comment

I just measured the ribbon width, the possible Russian ribbon is 35-36mm wide, the known British is 30mm- 31mm ??
        Mark
        Last edited by MARKH; 04-21-2020, 01:14 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Original Soviet Ribbons have 25mm or an inch.

Comment

Would you have a picture of it in direct sunlight as I wonder is the plastic slightly yellowed

Comment

in sunlight

yes, paddywhack, did some in morning sunlight, there is a yellowing from the plastic cover, did notice a slight green tinge to the back of centre section of ribbon that does not appear on the other medals ribbon white section? Still can't work it out. Thanks Mark
              Attached Files

Comment

Just a guess... Maybe some other allied army in exile? If the colours are orange-light green-orange, could it be the Dutch Expedition Cross?

Regards,
                Giorgos

Comment

The ribbon on the right is for the Canadian War Medal 1939-1945. I'm not sure about the ribbon on the left, but it might be a Dutch award, as others have suggested.

Comment

No not the Canadain war medal that had 3 colours Green Red Blue

It could be Knight Bachelor's Badge that is very faded in an odd way?

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                      No not the Canadain war medal that had 3 colours Green Red Blue

It could be Knight Bachelor's Badge that is very faded in an odd way?
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Medal_1939–1945

Comment

byterock your thinking of the Canadian volunteer medal

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cana..._Service_Medal

Also I don't think it's the Knights bachelors as I don't think it would fade to green, I reckon this is the last 2 ribbons of a larger bar and I reckon the mystery ribbon is a European or north African order

Comment

I think I may have solved this mystery. First ribbon is a Portuguese ww1 service medal. 2nd one is a ww2 British service medal. Portugal has been a British ally for centuries and fought for the Allies in ww1. Portugal was technically neutral in ww2, but contributed to the allied victory by keeping Spain neutral and allowing allied bases in the Azores. Check out the fading on this medal. Rob.p159a.jpgp159.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Have to agree it does looks similar and if you look at the way the ribbon bar would be pinned the "foreign award" is actually the first award and the British ribbon last so could be we are looking at a Portuguese ribbon bar from ww1 and ww2!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X