Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven’t seen it yet but have heard various comments from those that have, including everything looks to clean. I’m hoping I’ll enjoy it, but more importantly I hope it will encourage a new generation of enthusiasts to secure the future of our mutual interests. I recall when Saving Private Ryan & Band of Brothers was released, the renewed interest in militaria was overwhelming and reflected by the massive price increases in such items. My concern is that subsequent generations may not continue with the same enthusiasm as we have, as the memories of our forefathers becomes more distant and less important to the young.

Comment

"Too clean"? The trek thru no mans land will quash that observation very quickly.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
        had elements of Saving Private Ryan and Apocalypse Now.
        Hello,
        Spotted the SPR ref but not the apocalype now. Which one was it?
        Wasnt't it a ref to Raiders of the Lost Ark, when they get out of the tunnel and
        have to jump that hole in the ground ?

Comment

I don't think I'll bother watching this movie, I'm already annoyed by the ridiculous plot plus all the talk in the media is about how technically amazing the one shot/continuous take is but that's all BS because I watched an interview with the lead actor recently and he clearly said that the longest take he did was 8 minutes long. So wtf is all the fuss about?

Comment

Dust those cobwebs out from the wallet and go and see it , and treat yourself to some popcorn

Comment

Sure there are inaccuracies and illogical plot points. But, it's a movie not a documentary. It was entertaining and it's good to see a comparatively decent WWI movie. There needs to be more. Personally, I'm sick to death of WWII movies. Although Jo Jo Rabbit was great satire.

Comment

Started reading a book half way through the movie. Did not care for it at all. Ludicrous and boring. Save yourself some money and time by not seeing it.

Comment

I thought it was very well done. It was a movie for entertainment, not a documentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron P View Post
                    I thought it was very well done. It was a movie for entertainment, not a documentary.
                    I was not entertained in the least - do to the enormous stupidity of it all. The movie made no sense at all. But even by that rather low standard whether or not it was entertaining - it did not do it for me at all; unlike the movie Saving Private Ryan from which much was borrowed but not in a good way. Much better entertainment out there that has no historic pretentions.

Comment

A friend of mine writes for the Chatham Mass paper (the gazette?) his review is worth tracking down online and reading. I have yet to see it, perhaps tomorrow. My Brother liked it, and as someone stated, just having a WW1 film getting made in 2020 is pretty cool.

Comment

I watched it last night, and enjoyed the movie as a whole, and as "Stonemint" comments, there are a few holes in the plot....

That downed German pilot should have had a scar on his face, a monocle and a nice Hollywood type German accent, the ungrateful bastard !

The German sniper was probably the worst shot in the whole German army ! (and the Germans chasing our hero through the burning town weren't much better).

I also agree with Stoney about sending two Lance Corporals out to attempt to get to the troops that needed to be warned, a simple flyover of their positions would have sufficed.... (or the carrier pigeons).

The effort to recreate the look of a First World war battlefield was superbly done, certainly one of the best efforts to be shot recently.

Bob

Comment

My popcorn was good, so it was a totally enjoyable experience.

Comment

Hi,

I thought 1917 was riveting, as a film. My wife hates war films, but really liked this film.
                            Incidentally, there were black soldiers in the British Army in WW1. A famous example was Walter Tull, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Tull

regards

macleod

Comment

Watched it last night and thought it was good overall with some nice attention to detail. As ever the PC quota is present, but it seems to be a requirement in any production these days, i just try and ignore it. The evil German stereotypes were unnecessary but what's new there.

Sure the plot is daft but i loved the way it was filmed and the no mans land part of the film i thought was the best by far.

As a collector i'm sure i'm not the only one that wondered what medal Schofield picked up during the Somme. My guess would be an MM.
                              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

I went to see it today without any unrealistic expectations. Usually in terms of a plot and how the Germans are portrayed. So, I generally ignore the silliness, but did enjoy the scenes in the various trenches and no man's land. As well as the uniforms and weapons.
                                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X