Red Shines the Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Shines the Sun

I have recently purchased a copy of Red Shines the Sun: A Pictorial History of the Fallschirm-Infanterie by Eric Queen. Because I am a "hunt and peck" typist I will refer to the book as RSS from here on out. The book was purchased off of our e-stand and is a good value for the dollar.

The book is hard bound by Bender publishers and is in 81/2 x 11 inch format - somewhat larger than their usual offerings. When I first got the book and scanned the pages I was struck by the beautiful color illustrations. I know it was said elsewhere but I agree that the section on the FJ badge alone is worth the price of the book not only for the illustrations but for the story of the evolution of the various styles of the badge and tips on how to spot the fakes.

It is obvious as one reads this book that it was a labor of love. Having written medical texts, chapters and articles as well as editing books one can tell when the author is writing from desire and when it is of duty. It makes the book that much more readable when the author is sharing a passion and Mr. Queen's passion for this subject is obvious from the text as well as his many photos taken with many of the FJ vets and himself. I am envious of his oppurtunities to associate with these old warriors.

The text is broken down logicly into an overview of the unit followed by their major engagements in Poland and Holland. Then follows some details of their uniforms and equipment. The helmet section is also outstanding for its color illustrations. Then follows sections on documents and photos. A lot of work went into gathering this information and it is appreciated.

There are a few things that I would ask Mr. Queen were I to meet him to discuss his book. Mind you none of these things are critical as much as curiosity. So here goes: On the bottom of page 17 I think the photo may have been printed backwards based on the helmet markings and the side of the breast eagle on the smocks. I loved the small section on Seppl. I am also an avid modeler and you can bet Seppl will be in a Ju-52 diorama. On page 30 there is a photo inside of another photo. The caption brings to the reader's attention a shoulder strap being worn on a jump smock. In looking at this photo I think what we are seeing is the soldier standing to the right of the motorcycle in the photo above. Those men are wearing regular tunics and have rifles slung over their shoulders. In the inset photo you can make out the end of the rifle barrel and cleaning rod at the edge of the photo just below the tricolor shield on the helmet. On page 9, center photo, is that by anychance a second class Olympics decoration on the officer's tunic leading the Kompanie? I know it is quite blurred but i can't think of anything else that would have that shape. In the text I think I found only 2 typos, not bad.

In short, this is a nice book and should be on the book shelf on any badge collector, uniform and helmet collector and anyone else interested in the FJ or elite military units. My complements to Mr. Queen for a job well done and to Bender Publishing for bringing another fine, beautifully produced and nicely bound book to us.

Mike Coleman

Hi Mike......

......I heartily concur with you. Eric's book is one of the best additions that I have added to my modest library in quite some time.

-------------------------

Bruce

Comment

I've been contemplating buying this book for sometime, but haven't been able to find a copy to "flick through" first.

Can you tell me, does it cover the design & developement of the FJ helmets, or does it only have pictures of them?

I'm looking for more info in this area, I already have Baer's work but wondered if this is any more detailed.

Cheers
      Don

Comment

Mike,
        I agree with you! Eric’s book is loaded with beautiful, sharp and colorful illustrations. It is like “pictured” journey through the history of the Fallschrim-Infaterie! And let me tell you that it is an amazing trip! A must have position for every serious WWII collector!

Comment

I have to agree with all of these positive comments. I have had this book since shortly after it came out, and I am extremely glad to have it. It is a truly excellent book!
          George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
            I have to agree with all of these positive comments. I have had this book since shortly after it came out, and I am extremely glad to have it. It is a truly excellent book!
            I have recently acquired the book and I agree with George 100%. Excellent.
            Antti

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X