JoJo Rabbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JoJo Rabbit

New Disney film. Hitler as an imaginary friend.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqd4yNFuSw

I’m not sure what’s going on...but this will certainly get a bit of attention.

Maybe a film for the HJ collectors?

there' s always one.

Some people will produce any old **** to make a buck.....................

I think those who lived through the period would be greatly offended by this crap.

Before you shoot me down............I have a great sense of humour and am very tolerant.........................but believe that terrible events in history, from all sides, should be respected, since millions died in the process.

Don' t agree...............................I don't care, just like the makers of this garbage did n't.

Out.

Comment

Originally posted by nomis View Post
      Some people will produce any old **** to make a buck.....................

I think those who lived through the period would be greatly offended by this crap.

Before you shoot me down............I have a great sense of humour and am very tolerant.........................but believe that terrible events in history, from all sides, should be respected, since millions died in the process.

Don' t agree...............................I don't care, just like the makers of this garbage did n't.

Out.
      I agree with the sentiment to an extent. It’s not a film I’m going out of my way to watch. I’m just bemused by the whole thing.

But, there is humour from the War, ‘allo ‘allo, Dads Army, Kelly’s Heroes, Hogan’s Heroes, Soft Beds and Hard Battles, Carry on England and film stars like George Formby, Will Hay, etc

And I know some veterans enjoyed all of the above.

Comment

The full trailer came out this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL4McUzXfFI

I understand being turned off by the concept, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing it. I really enjoyed "The Death of Stalin" and don't think the satire diminished the horror of the time period. At least this movie seems to be portraying the Germans as actual human beings instead of a monolithic evil (i.e. Inglourious Basterds, Fury, etc.). And clearly there's a large amount of surrealism in play here. I'm sure living in the Third Reich could be a pretty surreal experience sometimes.

Comment

Looks like a laugh a minute. J

Comment

Originally posted by chrischa View Post
            I agree with the sentiment to an extent. It’s not a film I’m going out of my way to watch. I’m just bemused by the whole thing.

But, there is humour from the War, ‘allo ‘allo, Dads Army, Kelly’s Heroes, Hogan’s Heroes, Soft Beds and Hard Battles, Carry on England and film stars like George Formby, Will Hay, etc

And I know some veterans enjoyed all of the above.
            I need to make a correction and be honest, I don’t know any veterans that enjoyed George Formby.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eDIb9OBRCcw

I like him though.

Comment

Ooooooo I MUST have a copy of this movie!!!

It's just like my father-in-laws stories of his time in the hitlerjugend and all the stupid things he and his mates got up to in the final days of the war!

Schadenfreude at it's best!

Time to stop taking yourselves so seriously and enjoy the war, that's what my father-in-law did and he's in his nineties and in better shape all around than kids in their teens! Like the time the authorities sent him off by himself with a hammer and pliers to diffuse a cluster of land mines set in the crossroads of his home town to slowdown the Russians...

Comment

Reminds me of an Uwe Boll movie, with a plot and a budget.

Comment

Is that a tank destrction badge on Sam Rockwell?
                  http://TELEMMGLPICT000209150489_trans++pVlberWd9EgFPZtcLi MQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08 by tod wacko, on Flickr

Comment

I watched it today.

IMO, it was OK - but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.

The beer with my Parents at Hofbrauhaus (Newport) afterward turned into the best part of the day

Comment

movie theme

I haven't seen the movie yet and was originally taken a bit back, based on the trailer … but this video clip/interview gives me a different impression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYBJHBm7LKY

Sure, not a film to study for realistic accuracy by any means and not the best period of history for humor, but being a single parent in a time where kids hearts and imaginations became consumed by a political organization and an artificial demi-god - that was a real thing and a human interest issue that I have read about time and again. If you have raised boys (and I have raised 4), I can't imagine doing it during that time period and place, let alone being a single mom. I'll watch it with an open mind and keep it in context. Just an opinion.

Dan

Comment

Saw the movie last week. Excellent piece of storytelling. 4 stars. Acting was superb by all.

Greg

Comment

I guess it's always OK in this age of 'inclusiveness' to ridicule Germans and the Third Reich period in general.Of course, what do you expect from the sort of people who make crap like this?

Comment

"I guess it's always OK in this age of 'inclusiveness' to ridicule Germans and the Third Reich period in general.Of course, what do you expect from the sort of people who make crap like this"

I do believe this was a British/indie made production and not hollywood. And yes, in this day and age we can satirize anything, especially done by the Brits as they lived under constant bombing most of the war. I do remember a wonderful John Cleese Fawlty towers episode where they wonderfully mocked Hitler and his gang. Seemed no one was complaining about that.

Oh, and this was wonderful excellent "crap".

Greg

Comment

Greg, you're perfectly within your rights to be entertained by cliche-ridden, hackneyed garbage.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X