NEW BOOK - Helmets of the [British] Home Front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW BOOK - Helmets of the [British] Home Front

These helmets don't often seem to be of much interest on most Forums but we've written a book anyway :-) - “Helmets of the Home Front”. It is a BIG book with 362 full colour A4 pages and includes over 1,000 different helmet markings. The aim of the book is to provide an introduction to the myriad of markings (lettering and “ranks”) applied to the helmets of the brave civilians who went about their business during the intense attacks on Britain during the war years. It has sections on the helmets themselves, including the “Zuckerman” and commercial variants as well as attachments such Gas Curtains, lamps and carriers. However the main focus is the markings applied, the rules which governed them and the changes they went through as the war progressed. It includes colour photographs of many previously unseen examples as well as period photographs. The markings are covered on a per-Service basis including:-

Fire (AFS, NFS, Guards, Watchers and Parties)
    Wardens
    Industrial ARP
    Police (inc. Observer Corps)
    Health related Services (Medical Officer of Health, Casualty Services, FAP, Ambulance, SP, Hospitals and supporting voluntary services)
    Gas and Decontamination Services
    Repair Service
    Headquarters and Control (inc. Regional Column, Mutual Support, Transport, ARP etc.)
    Incident management & Messenger Service
    Rescue Service

Many collectors (some of whom are here too) kindly provided access to their extensive collections and photographs to make this the first book on this hitherto under-documented topic in the book world.

I should stress that it does not cover Home Guard helmets - they could (and SHOULD) fill a book of their own !

As it’s a self-published work it’s unlikely to make it to the shelves of the major book sellers but it is available directly from me (PM me please, ideally with an email address so I can send pics) – the Retail Price is £65.

Thank you for your time.

...should've added......PM me with an email address for photos......

Thanks

Comment

....oh well.......

Happy New Year anyway.....

Comment

I can highly recommend the book. It was filled with information that even serious helmet collectors might not know. A must for any helmet collector's library.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X