Spearhead by Adam Makos 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spearhead by Adam Makos 2019

I picked this up at BJ's (discount store) several weeks ago and just finished it last night and wanted to share it with WAF. At first it seemed like the same old same old but then the story really took off and pulled me in, a lot of things that I had not been aware of and a very human and engaging narrative. There are a few goofs like calling zimmerit a 'concrete coating' and a few other things here and there but otherwise a great book that will stay with you after you've read it.
    Recommended.
    Eric

There is a scene in the book where a driver is trapped in a Sherman because the gunner left the gun tube over the driver's hatch, but the driver gets out by reversing the tank, and the gun tube automatically centered itself, which the author says was a characteristic of the Sherman tank.

I never heard of this before ... does anyone know any details of this "self-centering" turret mechanism?

Comment

This weekend I finished reading this book. It covers the well known tank duel between a Panther and a Pershing in the center of Cologne.
      The book focuses on the main characters prior to, during, and after the event.
      Highly recommended.

Comment

I enjoyed this book. As Eric mentioned, as I first started reading I thought it was ok but as I read further it became more and more interesting. The author has a website with bonus content. I haven’t checked that out yet.

https://adammakos.com/

Very nice US tanker book!

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Walden View Post
          There is a scene in the book where a driver is trapped in a Sherman because the gunner left the gun tube over the driver's hatch, but the driver gets out by reversing the tank, and the gun tube automatically centered itself, which the author says was a characteristic of the Sherman tank.

I never heard of this before ... does anyone know any details of this "self-centering" turret mechanism?
          I had never heard of this before.

Comment

Since the author is recounting the personal stories from veterans, this most likely is one of those little "fun facts" that only a person who actually experienced it could know. But then again veterans have been known to make mistakes as well.

Comment

I just finished reading this book today...can't recommend it enough. I hear Clarence Smoyer is still alive and well.

Comment

He is alive and well, met him at a book signing in May, he signed my WW2 tankers helmet!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X