For the defence of my Nation - Zvonimir Bernwald

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the defence of my Nation - Zvonimir Bernwald

LAH Publishing's brand new title for 2019!

'For the defence of my Nation' by Zvonimir Bernwald.

(A translation into the English language of the German language title, 'Muslime in der Waffen-SS, Erinnerungen an die bosnische Division Handschar (1943-1945)').

This latest publication covers the memoirs of Zvonimir Bernwald. He was a Yugoslavian national who began working as a translator for the Germans after the 1941 Balkans campaign. When he was at the legal age, he volunteered for service with the Waffen-SS. That service took him very briefly to the Leibstandarte SS-Adolf Hitler, then SS-Division Reich, before he was moved to the SS-Hauptamt. He was there for the formation of what became the 13. SS-Division 'Handschar' and he subsequently served in that division almost until the end of the conflict. His final posting, following NCO and then officer training, was with the 31. SS-Division.

Following the German surrender, he had an initially challenging time trying to reach Germany, before beginning a period as a prisoner of war.

This book details his experiences, but also has chapters on the mutiny in France, the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, the Imams of Handschar and also the history of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Available in English for the first time, this book is a translation of, 'Muslime in der Waffen-SS, Erinnerungen an die bosnische Division Handschar (1943-1945)'.

320 pages

A5, hardback book, full gloss internal pages

Over 115 photographs / documents / maps

Price is £25.00 (postage to be confirmed at the time of order)

Limited quantity of signed bookplates from Zvonimir Bernwald: Price is £35.00 (postage to be confirmed at the time of order)

Signed photographs of Zvonimir Bernwald are also available: Price is £10.00 each (various to choose from)

PM me here, or check www.lahpublishing.com

I will also be at Stoneleigh next week (Legends Aviation Gallery stand) with copies of this new book, plus all others shown on the website.

Regards
    Peter
    Attached Files

PM sent.

Comment

No PM in my inbox.

Can you email:

contactus@lahpublishing.com

Thanks
      Peter

Comment

Could anyone who've purchased the book care to comment on it? I'm interested in purchasing it but a short review or two would be nice before deciding.

/Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by Grimjaur View Post
          Could anyone who've purchased the book care to comment on it? I'm interested in purchasing it but a short review or two would be nice before deciding.

/Henrik
          Pretty decent book BUT only if you are really interested in or collect Handschar. Some of the translation seems off and there are quite a few typos. While I also enjoyed learning about Bernwald’s pre war and arguably very dramatic immediate post war experience, some of his explanations about the casuality of war in Bosnia and then Independent State of Croatia is frankly insulting to intelligence; I guess he cannot truly separate himself from the SS ideology even today.

In general, not a bad book but I much prefer Lepre’s and Sulejmanpasic’s books for a tad more objective look on the role of this division (not to mention the wealth of information), though the latter one in particular has a strong anti Serb bias. So, this would be a solid third on the list of Handschar books for me. Enver Redzic’s book is pretty bad, which is a shame as he was an excellent historian fighting on the Partisan side in WWII. It was published during Tito’s life, so not surprisingly biased against Handschar, but quite uncharacteristic for this well respected historian.

On the side note , seller ships it very fast and well packaged. I do not regret buying it but I did expect more from someone who was there, at least until July 1944. Perhaps that’s exactly the problem, considering his political views held to this day.

Subjective rating: 3/5.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X