Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocket fighter By Mano Ziegler

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...015447-5545203

My father recently brought home this book from work from a friend. I had a lot of preconceived views of the 163 like most of you reading this will. A plane that could burn you alive from just looking at it, powered by the most horrendous of chemicals you could imagine, could this be true??
    I hoped this book would sort these myths out.

Mano Writes much like most german world war two vets, its easy to read and flows ( at this point I just spilt a pint of beer on my keyboard and I have just spent 45 minutes cleaning it) effortlesley into your mind.
    The book covers the tragic yet exciting lives of the pilots who flew the 'flying egg'. Its a sobering story without a chapter with no one being killed, more often than not by the egg.
    The book really illustrates how dangerous and yet exciting these aircraft were and shows the general hope of the pilots that 1000 of these fighters would protect the reich from the countless enemy bombers streaming over Germany in 44-45.
    If you want to know how the book reads then it follows a day by day format and is much like Heinz knockes book and Hartmanns.

All in all I recommend it to all no matter if you dont have an interest in the luftwaffe.
    This review is pretty pants and I haven't done the book justice at all but the key point is READ IT!!
    Mfg
    Matt

I just read this book for the first time.

Always thought the volunteers for the U-boat service had to be a little nuts to volunteer--these Me-163 pilots make them look perfectly sane.
    This "weapon" was more dangerous to its users than the enemy.

Book is a great read, fast paced, and is an excellent insight to the German mindset during the war.
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Colleagues;

Yes, this book is a good, insightful read. I enjoyed it too.

Comment

Here is one at the Museum not far away
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
          It's a great book about a fantastic aircraft ,If I was terminally ill I would love to be strapped into one and sent on my way to Walhalla .
          What a way to go.
          Mark

Comment

There is a documentary film on Netflix that covers this aircraft along with the Me262

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X