I have seen the future...Battlefield 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have seen the future...Battlefield 2

I have been looking at an early build of Battlefield 2. The rank system looks awesome, should be interesting to see how fast some hard core players get promoted. The interface is very nice...and the original music from BF42 is back, now with a Middle Eastern favor.

I haven't had a chance to take part in one of the multiplayer sessions yet. But that will be the real test. I can hardly wait for the final game.

Originally posted by Peter_Suciu
    I have been looking at an early build of Battlefield 2. The rank system looks awesome, should be interesting to see how fast some hard core players get promoted. The interface is very nice...and the original music from BF42 is back, now with a Middle Eastern favor.

I haven't had a chance to take part in one of the multiplayer sessions yet. But that will be the real test. I can hardly wait for the final game.
    From the movies/screenies I saw some time ago, the scenarios look a little like the film Blackhawk Down?

It looks as though it could be good.

Gonna be strange playing with modern weapons! Not used to anything other than WW2!!

Regards,

Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R
      Gonna be strange playing with modern weapons! Not used to anything other than WW2!!
      I've played a lot of the mods and Desert Combat was all modern gear. It is worth a look in the mean time.

Comment

Hey Peter,
        Can you describe more about the ranking system? I hope its not like an mmorpg where you have to put your "real life" on hold to move up levels

Also, are the BF2 weapons much different from what's available on DC currently?

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly H.
          Hey Peter,
          Can you describe more about the ranking system? I hope its not like an mmorpg where you have to put your "real life" on hold to move up levels

Also, are the BF2 weapons much different from what's available on DC currently?
          The ranking system rewards you for playing more of course but that doesn't ever mean you get "left" behind if your friends move up in rank. In fact good players, who can't play often might be a Sgt. but the won't be weaker than a Capt. who plays all day. The officers will get more responsibility such as air strikes, ammo drops, etc. But this is meant to encourage team-based play...something almost all these games lack.

So what I'm saying is that you play a lot you're likely to be an officer but that doesn't mean you get to take on harder levels, as this is still essentially player vs. player combat, where most RPGs are combat against an NPC monster.

The weapons seem more diverse and rounded. It does have a Desert Combat feel, much the same way that BFVietnam felt a bit like Eve of Destruction, but that's the setting. The look is more refined.

All in all I have high hopes. I WANT that commission asap!

Comment

Peter is it as moddible as BF1942 was ?
            And one other question , in BF1942 the viewpoint is in the chest area , has it been changed to the head area in BF2 ?

Frank Scheepers

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Scheepers
              Peter is it as moddible as BF1942 was ?
              And one other question , in BF1942 the viewpoint is in the chest area , has it been changed to the head area in BF2 ?
              I'm sure it will be mod-friendly as it is still developed by DICE. I think EA and DICE realize that mods make the games sell more units.

I don't know if I ever really thought the viewpoint was so low in BF42. I think this is because the developers were trying to show that you don't tend to fire guns from the hip.

Comment

okay totally of topic anyone play the German Front Mod for Call of duty the released the full version this week
                Ian

Comment

Originally posted by I Marotto
                  okay totally of topic anyone play the German Front Mod for Call of duty the released the full version this week
                  Ian
                  I haven't even heard of this...what's new and different?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_Suciu
                    I'm sure it will be mod-friendly as it is still developed by DICE. I think EA and DICE realize that mods make the games sell more units.

I don't know if I ever really thought the viewpoint was so low in BF42. I think this is because the developers were trying to show that you don't tend to fire guns from the hip.
                    This is why I asked it.
                    They were talking about Full Sized vehicles in Forgotten Hope , but that it would look strange because the viewpoint was in the chest.
                    Here's the thread on the forum : http://forums.filefront.com/showthread.php?t=187342

Frank Scheepers

Comment

This is why I asked it.
                      They were talking about Full Sized vehicles in Forgotten Hope , but that it would look strange because the viewpoint was in the chest.
                      Here's the thread on the forum : http://forums.filefront.com/showthread.php?t=187342

Are you saying the vehicles aren't to scale?

And I don't know where you have the idea that the viewpoint is chest level. It seems the same as every other shooter.

Comment

This is why I asked it.
                        OK, I read that forum you had linked. I think the vehicles will remain the same scale, that is vehicles are more or less in scale to each other...obviously a modern super carrier would have to be reduced in size.

This is because of the size of the maps. Look at Wake Island in the original game. It must be 1/4 or 1/5 the size of the real world location. The jeeps do seem a bit like go carts by comparison.

As far as "full size," I don't know if any game will ever really provide that. The tanks seem larger in Call of Duty but it is really a matter of scale for the size of the maps. Larger vehicles aren't only bigger but they move faster.

And as far as the camera view I've never seen this issue addressed anywhere. I don't know if I've really noticed but it could be that most games have the camera view slightly lower than the location of the Avatar's eyes. Keep in mind that to look around your whole body moves. No one has developed a way of moving your neck either. So I don't know if you can really change this perspective.

If this is correct about the view of the camera it would certainly explain why the Avatars in Call of Duty run bent over. This would be to adjust the eyes to that level.

Comment

Peter
                          here it is http://germanfrontmod.justgamers.de/index.php?sektion=2

it is awesome the maps are great and the skins are awesome StuGs ,Panthers ,Paks and the uniforms are awesome .Reminds me a bit of Day of Defeat

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by I Marotto
                            Peter
                            here it is http://germanfrontmod.justgamers.de/index.php?sektion=2

it is awesome the maps are great and the skins are awesome StuGs ,Panthers ,Paks and the uniforms are awesome .Reminds me a bit of Day of Defeat

Ian
                            Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting.

I didn't realise it had been released (have been waiting for ages!)

Off to DL it now!

Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R
                              Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting.

I didn't realise it had been released (have been waiting for ages!)

Off to DL it now!

Mark.
                              I just downloaded. Looks good. Is this single player too? I only looked at the multiplayer.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X