Fighting the British at Arnhem Book Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fighting the British at Arnhem Book Review

“Fighting the British at Arnhem” by Bob Gerritsen is an excellent and refreshing book, the like of which does not often appear. I very much enjoyed reading this book. The author has a writing style that makes the book very readable and the events of September 1944 are presented in such a manner that holds the reader’s attention. This book is not just about the SS-Unterführer Schule Arnhem, but includes all German units (Army, Luftwaffe Navy and SS) that were part of Kampfgruppe von Tettau that fought against the British troops in the air landing areas west of Arnhem in the Wolfheze district. The actions of the Germans and British are described in a chronologic manner in great detail. The author was fortunate to have become friends with the former SS-Obersturmführer Erwin Rübenstrunk , who was on the staff of the SS-Unterführer Schule Arnhem during September 1944. Rübenstrunk himself did considerable post-war research about the battle of Arnhem and conducted extensive interviews with eye-witnesses, to include the school commander , SS-Standartenführer Michael Lippert, along with other unit commanders and ordinary soldiers. All of Rübenstrunk’s research was turned over to the author. Interviews were also conducted with British commanders and other participants. The author skillfully weaves these recollections together in a manner than enhances the reading experience. I was particularly impressed by the author’s anecdotes of small unit actions where the German experience is presented first such as the capture of a British unit off 228 men along with its commander, a major. Following that report the captured British Major Michael Forman relates his version of those events. Early in the book is a report by a former German Army Obergrefretr of how he became one of the many forced into the Waffen-SS. While retreating from France into Holland he was intercepted by the SS. In his Solbuch his Army rank was crossed out and changed to Rottenführer, assigned to a Waffen-SS unit and given a new tunic SS collar tabs. Throughout the book are references to the “requisition” of the homes of Dutch civilians by the German forces. These people were thrown out of their homes and told not to return or they would be shot. There are plenty of original photos of both British and Germans in this book and the reproduction is first-rate. The author is an older gentleman who has spent his entire life in this area and fully understands what he is writing about. I highly recommend this book.

Thanks John for taking the time to review this book, I wasn't aware of it's existence until I saw this thread. Looks like I need to add it to my Market Garden library.

Thanks again.

Comment

Comment

Uk readers can purchase here provides an excellent well packed service
        https://paulmeekins.secure-chrislands.com
        These two as well are an excellent account of the battle as John says some of the best researched books out there
        Retake Arnhem Bridge: An Illustrated History of the Kampfgruppe Knaust September to October 1944
        Arnhem, a Few Vital Hours: The SS-Panzergrenadier-Ausbildungs Und Ersatz-Bataillon 16 at the Battle of Arnhem, September 1944

Comment

Thanks for posting this.

Originally posted by John P. Moore View Post
          “Fighting the British at Arnhem” by Bob Gerritsen is an excellent and refreshing book, the like of which does not often appear. I very much enjoyed reading this book. The author has a writing style that makes the book very readable and the events of September 1944 are presented in such a manner that holds the reader’s attention. This book is not just about the SS-Unterführer Schule Arnhem, but includes all German units (Army, Luftwaffe Navy and SS) that were part of Kampfgruppe von Tettau that fought against the British troops in the air landing areas west of Arnhem in the Wolfheze district. The actions of the Germans and British are described in a chronologic manner in great detail. The author was fortunate to have become friends with the former SS-Obersturmführer Erwin Rübenstrunk , who was on the staff of the SS-Unterführer Schule Arnhem during September 1944. Rübenstrunk himself did considerable post-war research about the battle of Arnhem and conducted extensive interviews with eye-witnesses, to include the school commander , SS-Standartenführer Michael Lippert, along with other unit commanders and ordinary soldiers. All of Rübenstrunk’s research was turned over to the author. Interviews were also conducted with British commanders and other participants. The author skillfully weaves these recollections together in a manner than enhances the reading experience. I was particularly impressed by the author’s anecdotes of small unit actions where the German experience is presented first such as the capture of a British unit off 228 men along with its commander, a major. Following that report the captured British Major Michael Forman relates his version of those events. Early in the book is a report by a former German Army Obergrefretr of how he became one of the many forced into the Waffen-SS. While retreating from France into Holland he was intercepted by the SS. In his Solbuch his Army rank was crossed out and changed to Rottenführer, assigned to a Waffen-SS unit and given a new tunic SS collar tabs. Throughout the book are references to the “requisition” of the homes of Dutch civilians by the German forces. These people were thrown out of their homes and told not to return or they would be shot. There are plenty of original photos of both British and Germans in this book and the reproduction is first-rate. The author is an older gentleman who has spent his entire life in this area and fully understands what he is writing about. I highly recommend this book.

Comment

John,

Thanks for the review. I had a hand in reviewing the text of this fantastic book and totally agree that Bob has done a fantastic job. He has spent years on this project painstakingly making sure the details and content were accurate and trying to source photos that complimented this project. The author having befriended a former member of the SS-Unterführerschule 'Arnheim' who was an avid researcher himself, made the job somewhat easier but the additional research and cross-referencing mixed with British first-person accounts has produced a top-notch book. R.N. Sigmond Publishing has also lived up to their reputation in producing another high-quality book about the Battle of Arnhem. Must have for any Arnhem enthusiast or military researcher.

cheers

Scott

Comment

Hi,

just one question, are there new photos published, which are not printed in "Kampfraum Arnhem", the divisional history of the 9th SS or the After the battle "Market Garden" books? In special I am interested in the Schiffstammabteilung 10 and 14.

Bye
              Frank

Comment

I have the book and it's a must have!
                Get it while stock last!

Comment

Originally posted by hoover View Post
                  Hi,

just one question, are there new photos published, which are not printed in "Kampfraum Arnhem", the divisional history of the 9th SS or the After the battle "Market Garden" books? In special I am interested in the Schiffstammabteilung 10 and 14.

Bye
                  Frank
                  Frank,

Yes there are many new photos never published especially of members of the SS-Unterfuhrerschule. I am yet to receive the book so unsure if there are any new pics relating to SchiffsstammAbt. 10 & 14.

cheers

Scott

Comment

Great review! I've just ordered my copy. 👍

Michael

Comment

I bought my signed copy of this great book a couple of weeks ago in Oosterbeek.

It's hard to add comments to those of John. There are some things I like in this book. First of all the personal descriptios of Dutch volunteers during the battles at Arnhen, secondly the description of the SS-Ers.Btl.Germania at Doesburg and thirdly the description of the SS-Wachbtl.Nordwest.

If someone likes to read something new about the battles around Arnhem, he should definitely buy this book.

Bram

Comment

Does anyone know of a source for this book in the States?

Comment

Aberdeen Books have ordered the book from the publisher, but it is being shipped by sea freight, so it might be a little while before they get it...

Comment

Thank you for the review. I will try to get it here in the US.
                            When you go home
                            Tell them for us and say
                            For your tomorrow
                            We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                            Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Originally posted by Klaus Richter View Post
                              Aberdeen Books have ordered the book from the publisher, but it is being shipped by sea freight, so it might be a little while before they get it...
                              Excellent, Klaus. Thank you.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X