Operation Finale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Operation Finale

Anyone seen this movie about Adolf Eichmann? The uniforms, flags and equipment look pretty good.

-Joel

It was a good movie; well acted. Kinsgely has the character down pat even as far as his smirk during the trial.

Hollywood tarted it up somewhat by adding some sub plots and scenes that differ from the original book 'The House on Garibaldi Street' written years ago by an original one of the inside kidnappers.

All in all it is a worthwhile view, especially for the average movie-goer who is
    not a student of the period and nit-nat true details of the subject.

Comment

Thanks for your opinion. I’m going to see it tonight.

-J

Comment

Perhaps I should live stream it for you guys.

Comment

Haven't seen it, but images I've seen of Kingsley are immediately disqualifying from a historical accuracy standpoint. He wears SS runes on his right collar patch. One need only look at the well-known official wartime portrait of Eichmann to see that, as an officer of the RSHA, he wore the plain black patch. Kingsley as Eichmann wears the Goldenes Ehrenzeichen der NSDAP (Golden Party Badge). He did not qualify in any way for that award and therefore did not wear it. Kingsley as Eichmann, apparently attending an Einsatzgruppe massacre (i.e., probably 1941 or '42), wears the ribbon for the Iron Cross Second Class. He did not receive that until very late 1944, around the time that he was awarded the Kriegsverdienstkreuz I. Klasse mit Schwertern (on 3 December 1944).

Most viewers won't notice or care- I get that. Still puzzles and annoys me that such unnecessary errors are made, particularly when the filmmakers have a budget at their disposal that would more than pay for some basic research services. Accuracy should be important, particularly when they're purportedly seeking to recreate history. I have the same criticisms of "Schindler's List", and am invariably accused of nitpickery (because "Relax, it's just a movie!").

~ Mike

Comment

Eichmann's decorations & awards:

29.09.1944 Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse
            03.12.1944 Kriegsverdienstkreuz I. Klasse mit Schwertern
            15.07.1944 Kriegsverdienstkreuz II. Klasse mit Schwertern
            ca. 1941 Dienstauszeichnung der NSDAP in Bronze
            [01.12.1938] SA-Sportabzeichen in Bronze
            [01.10.1942] Totenkopfring der SS
            00.00.193_ SS-Zivilabzeichen (Nr. 6 375)
            00.02.1934 Ehrenwinkel für alte Kämpfer

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Miller View Post
              Eichmann's decorations & awards:
              29.09.1944 Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse
              Michael, do you happen to know the circumstances behind the award of Eichmann's EK 2 at all?

Regards Richard.
              Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

According to David Cesarani's biography "Becoming Eichmann", at the end of August 1944, Eichmann led a "commando squad" to help in evacuating some 10,000 Volksdeutsche who were stuck on the Hungarian/Romanian border and endangered by the advancing Soviet Army. Although the ethnic Germans refused to go, Eichmann and his men were able to assist in evacuating personnel of a Feldlazarett near the front.

~ Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Miller View Post
                  According to David Cesarani's biography "Becoming Eichmann", at the end of August 1944, Eichmann led a "commando squad" to help in evacuating some 10,000 Volksdeutsche who were stuck on the Hungarian/Romanian border and endangered by the advancing Soviet Army. Although the ethnic Germans refused to go, Eichmann and his men were able to assist in evacuating personnel of a Feldlazarett near the front. ~ Mike
                  Interesting information, and after reading that I may well read the biography.

Thank you for the explanation.

Regards Richard.
                  Always looking for Luftwaffe Kampfflieger related document groups. In particular anything to Kampfgeschwader 2.

Comment

Just laughable I saw the clip and seeing the actor playing Eichmann aka Major Hochstetter ...must have had more layers of paint on him than a Rolls-Royce.... absolutely ridiculous and completely unbelievable

Comment

Indeed. Kingsley is 74, playing Eichmann at 35/36. Ridiculously poor casting.

~ Mike

Comment

Coming to NetFlix soon . . . to be "airbrushed", WITHOUT any insignia!

Scowling and severe in his SS uniform, the actor Sir Ben Kingsley makes a plausible Adolf Eichmann. Except for two small details.

While promotional material for Operation Finale, the Netflix drama, says that it is based on an “incredible true story”, the Obersturmbannführer’s cap badges were considered too provocative. Two Nazi military insignia — an eagle clutching a swastika and a skull and crossbones — have been airbrushed from the SS cap in European advertising because some countries have strict laws banning Nazi symbols.

Looked silly before - now it only get's worse . . .

Comment

Movie is garbage

Comment

Yes, I was VERY disappointed in the whole thing !!! And YES bad casting !!!!!! Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X