New Austro-HUngarian Army Uniforms Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Austro-HUngarian Army Uniforms Book

I just received an email from Christian Ortner of the Heeresgeschichtlichesmuseum in Vienna informing me of the imminent publication of his and his two co-author's big new glossy book on First World War Austro-Hungarian army uniforms. Initially published in German, an English language edition is due out in November. Titled "Des Kaisers Rock" a preview can be seen on their web site at:

http://www.militaria.at/

Glenn

Previous publication

Glenn , a while back I purchased 'Fighting Troops of the Austro - Hungarian Army' by James Lucas, seemed reasonably comprehensive, does this seem to provide a more detailed picture ?

Comment

James Lucas

The late James Lucas was instrumental in introducing the then somewhat unknown Austro-Hungarian Army to an English speaking readership by two of his titles "Fighting Troops of the Austro-Hungarian Army 1868-1914" and his "Austro-Hungarian Infantry 1914-1918" published by Almark in 1973. The former utilized many pre war illustrations and plates and as you know did not cover the wartime development of the pike grey uniform and the further introduction of field grey. The latter title suffered from it's over dependence on allied intelligence material and consequently has a not incondsiderable number of mistakes.

I have not yet seen the new Ortner/Rest/Illming book in the flesh as it is to be introduced at the army museum in Vienna on the 22nd of October with an English language version released slightly later. As the book is being written by amongst others a staff member of the HGM in Vienna and will cover uniform development until the end of 1918 it should be a major and much needed edition to the subject. There is a list of the book's contents on the www.militaria.at site and it appears to cover all the infantry branches, cavalry, artillery, generals and staff with some 1400 illustrations and photos.

I also heard that Peter Jung of the War Archives in Vienna will author two Osprey volumes on A-H uniforms in May 2003 and September 2003. Things are looking up on the Austro-Hungarian side of life

Comment

Good news

Yes, that sounds excellent. I try to stick with Imperial German, but I get tempted by some of those Austrian enamelled orders. I like the look of a lot of Austrian swords, but we see very few over here in the UK. One day I have promised myself one of those really elegant Officer's lance caps, better be soon because the prices are taking off

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X