Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPR is now 20 years old?

Wow. Hard to believe.

I recall skipping work to see the first showing on a Friday . . . Seems like yesterday.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...4bb812b83.html

Some day I gotta' get down to New Orleans - and see that Museum.

Tom

Comment

What sis spr? apparently the link is "unavailable for legal reasons"

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by johann mor View Post
        What sis spr? apparently the link is "unavailable for legal reasons"

Jon
        From the headline:

New Orleans World War II museum spotlights D-Day classic, 'Saving Private Ryan,' 20 years later

Story is about a reunion of some of the original participants involved in the production of the film.

Comment

Silly me, I should have known that.

Thanks,

Jon

Comment

Crap, so i'm 20 years older now?!

Comment

For me the best warmovie ever ! Still remember watching the opening scene on a large screen and then hoped the movie never ends !!!!!

Classic movie in every way.

Comment

Saving Private Ryan

I took a leave of absence from my job and enlisted in the U.S. Army Reserve in 1998. While waiting for my ship date to Basic Training, I saw this film in the theater. The carnage was rather unsettling to say the least, but it still overwhelmed me with a sense of patriotism and made me glad I had signed up.

I have long since discharged honorably from the military. We deployed and traveled a lot but I was never sent anywhere near a combat zone. The movie still means a lot to me. I still have to skip past Mellish's death scene, and I still yell at the screen when Captain Miller stumbles shell shocked out into the open at the end of the film.

Comment

pity that they depicted German as just random idiots... I love good war movies but I could not stand the very first part when they shot Czech wehrmacht soldiers, the whole scene was so naive

Comment

Spr

I was serving at the time and a colleague of mine had a side line in Military statues and had sold one to Steven Spielberg. We went over to Hatfield where filming was taking place, although Spielberg was in Ireland filming the landing scenes. I remember being stood on the bridge from the final part of the film(the river had no water in it) and saying to one of the guys' I wonder if it'll be any good'. It became the first date I had with a girl I was courting at the time, must have been impressed as we are still married.

Comment

Originally posted by Yubari View Post
                      pity that they depicted German as just random idiots... I love good war movies but I could not stand the very first part when they shot Czech wehrmacht soldiers, the whole scene was so naive
                      i remember a historian on a documentary who said something along the lines of.. films become the true collective memory of an event - so for example, when people think of d-day, they think of saving private ryan..even if its not historically accurate (not saying it is).

Comment

IMO saving private ryan set the bar for all war movies after that to make realistic combat scenes with good intense special effects .

Comment

Originally posted by Dmv View Post
                          Crap, so i'm 20 years older now?!
                          That was exactly my thought!
                          Erich
                          Festina lente!

Comment

The opening scenes were rivetting, and as a story it was great to watch and was very well received by most, parts of it as far as the purist goes did turn into another episode of 'Combat' in parts, for example hitting the tails of mortar bombs on the ground and throwing them, ... not a good idea, shoving a Thompson SMG into the drivers vision slit of a 'Tiger' and shooting up all inside (why did the driver remove the armoured glass ) ... attacking an MG position head on.... etc etc.... but I enjoyed it ! They excelled themselves with the later series "Band Of Brothers" though, which was superbly done (IMHO).

Bob

Comment

After a long, hard [F-in Hot!] day on the Trail . . . sat down to watch a little bit of it again tonight - and felt 20 years younger.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X