Silent Hunter 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silent Hunter 3

Anyone got it? I picked it up last week and have been living on moldy bread, throwing buckets of sea water over my head and shouting 'Alarm!' ever since

It's a little buggy and takes a pretty powerful machine to run smoothly but boy is it good!

The purist in my riles a little at being awarded a U-boat frontspange in 1939 though

http://www.silent-hunteriii.com/uk/home.php
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

I've got it too, allthough I'm not past the naval academy yet. But i did one scenario where I managed to sink HMS Nelson to help out Bismarck. That was fun. It's an addictive game and it takes up alot of time, that's mainly why I haven't played it much yet.
    Antti

Comment

I must say that since I got SH3, it wastes 1/4th of my entire day. I've gotten addicted to it and I get obsessed in finishing a mission which usually lasts 2 hours with time compression. However, as you said Simon, awarding the uboat clasp so early kinda gets me nervous as I'm really picky on accuracy Also when I got the oakleaves and swords by the 4th mission, that also raised my eyebrow and by the 7th mission I had oakleaves in gold with diamonds

Comment

Its on my hitlist, saw it in the store today and almost jumped through the roof when I saw the crew interaction!!! imagine being able to reward crew!!

I got SH2 and it in itself is unbelieveable but I cant wait to purchase 3!!

next pay......

Originally posted by Besian B.
        I must say that since I got SH3, it wastes 1/4th of my entire day. I've gotten addicted to it and I get obsessed in finishing a mission which usually lasts 2 hours with time compression. However, as you said Simon, awarding the uboat clasp so early kinda gets me nervous as I'm really picky on accuracy Also when I got the oakleaves and swords by the 4th mission, that also raised my eyebrow and by the 7th mission I had oakleaves in gold with diamonds

Comment

Silent Hunter III is awesome!!! I'm on my spring break right now, and I must say this has taken up almost all of it! The Naval Academy takes a bit, but it's worth it. Just imagine, I was on a patrol yesterday along the North English coast, when suddenly a convoy of about 18 merchants and 3 destroyers pulls up! All i can do is pull up the periscope and hunt..........

Comment

Yeah, but the game costs like $3050. $50 for the game and $3K for the new computer I need to run it!!!
            Marc

Comment

is there a demo available for this , so i can try before i pay -

Comment

I don't think there is a demo out as of now, but the game is suprising $39.99, at least that's what I got it for, so it's a pretty good deal considering the prices now adays.....

Comment

I just found a really cool feature. In the games directory, under Data\Sound\Gramophone you can add MP3 music files which will then play in game if you click on the radioman's gramophone icon and 'play'. So, now i've added a whole bunch of period music including 'It's a long way to Tipperary' and 'J'attendrai' from Das Boot

The moders are already hard at it with improvements and the game's only been out a week.

A German site with some cool mods so far, but the download bandwidth seems to have been used up already
                  http://www.9teuflottille.de/index2.html

Another site. This is where i got most of the music from.
                  http://www.subsim.com/
                  Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

That's a great observation Simon as I was trying to make the gramaphone work but I didn't have any luck. I guess I'll put some mp3 files in it too, maybe some Marlene Dietrich or Edith Piaf to go along with the general atmosphere

Comment

Hmmm I'll have to give Silent Hunter 3 a try.

Comment

I picked up SH3, came home and watched "Das Boot" again, and started reading an account of Teddy Suhren just to top off my total immersion.
                        Oh, and how immersive (or should I say "submersive") this game is. With the watch officer hanging out with you on the Conning Tower, the multiple perspective views, the little Royal Navy crewmen on the HMS Nelson who I can see through my attack periscope just before one of my torpedos hits home, the incredibly realistic wave action, the pretty blonde and brunette nurses waving au revoir as I leave Lorient, and the three-dimensional real-time interaction with various important officers and NCO's above and below deck, all I have to do is reach for my bordmutze and I am THERE. There that is, until my wife reminds me that I have been "sailing around in my boat" for the last six hours and need to come to dinner...
                        Yeah, you guys need to get this game.

Comment

The game looks really, really good. It isn't my kind of thing so I didn't spend too much time but the 20minutes or so I played I did enjoy.

Been a decent year for games. Alas, that damn PSP has been keeping me busy.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X